Courtney Adelman – Sophomore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami chapter.

Courtney is a 19-year-old sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism. She is a beautiful ray of sunshine! She is involved with UMTV, the Special Olympics SO college program, Best Buddies and Greek life.

Why did you decide to come to Miami?

“I have always loved the school. But it was always more of a dream than a reality. After attending a school that was not for me, I knew that Miami was where needed to be. I knew that Miami had exactly what I wanted for my major and has the resources available for me to succeed.”

How/why did you get involved in pageants?

“I have always loved to perform. I attended a local performing arts school in my town when I was younger and the owner was a pageant coach. She had brought up the idea to me and I had never really considered it until I started looking into it. I knew that competing in pageants would help me make a difference in the community and have my voice be heard with my platform, The Special Olympics. I was also able to share my talent and voice my opinion.”

Tell me about your time as Miss Massachusetts’s Outstanding Teen.

“My time as Miss Massachusetts’ Outstanding Teen was probably one of the best years of my life. I was able to accomplish so much and spread the word about my platform The Special Olympics, as well as a national platform, the Children’s Miracle Network. I was able to travel around the state and volunteer for many different organizations. One of my favorite things that I was able to do was sing at a Boston Red Sox game in honor of The Special Olympics.”

How was your experience competing for Miss America’s Outstanding Teen?

“Miss America’s Outstanding Teen was an amazing experience. I learned so much about myself and met 52 other young women who were extremely, intelligent, poised, and driven.The experience taught me independence and time management.”

Tell me about your platform.

“My platform is The Special Olympics. The Special Olympics is an international competition, modeled on the Olympic Games, in which mentally and physically handicapped athletes compete. This is something I am very passionate about because I have a little brother with special needs. I have been involved with this organization for many years and every time I go it is an exciting and rewarding experience. The Special Olympics fosters an environment where people like my little brother don’t feel different and have the opportunity to shine.”

What about your talent?

“My talent is singing. I have been involved in musical theater for a very long time and I love singing songs from musicals.”

I can tell you’re close with your little brother, how does it feel being so far away from him?

“It is very hard to be so far away from him. I miss him very much. However, I Facetime and message him as much as I can and he understands that I am away at college.”

If you had to pick one moment during your time as an Outstanding Teen, what would it be and why?

“One moment that stands out during my time as an Outstanding teen would be a moment when an athlete from the special Olympics who I had seen often at events recognized me. It wasn’t the fact that she recognized me, but it was the fact that she gave me a big hug and told me she loved me and all that I do for the Special Olympics. That was the best moment because it was so rewarding. I felt like I had impacted her life and I know that she impacted mine.”

Looking at yourself now and when you started at UM, how have you changed? What one piece of advice do you wish you could give yourself?

“I have changed in the sense that I have become more independent and driven. I have done my best to take advantage of every opportunity that comes my way. If I cold offer any advice, it would be to do as much as possible and don’t hold back. Time will work itself out, but you have to be willing to put yourself out there.”

I am currently a senior broadcast journalism and theatre major at the University of Miami. I love pageants, coffee, and animals.