Special Guest Appearance To Oxford By Windsor Hanger Western

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

Windsor Hanger Western is one of the most empowering women in the publishing business today. She’s beautiful, brilliant, and let’s not forget the Co-founder, President, and Publisher of Her Campus, the #1 online magazine for college women!

To celebrate and inspire the women of Miami University, Her Campus Miami (OH) and Women In Business have partnered to bring Windsor to campus for a speaking engagement Tuesday, Mar. 4 at 7 p.m. in the Armstrong Student Center Pavillion C!

Take a look at our Facebook event for more information on this upcoming free event and be sure to stick around afterwards for a chance to ask Windsor specific questions and to take some photos for your Instagram against our Her Campus backdrop!

Implications for our chapter:

Windsor’s visit to Miami is a huge milestone for Miami’s Her Campus chapter. HC Miami was founded in 2011 by Alaine Perconti and Kate Byers, with their mission similarly aligned to HC National’s based out of Boston: to create a fun, engaging, and entertaining online community through content directed specifically at Miami’s female student body.

Since becoming a student publication, our chapter has grown to over 40 members who make up our writing, publicity, photography, and leadership teams. After hosting our first official event last year – a very successful yoga night – our chapter has increased its publicity on campus with more social media, additional partnerships with other student organizations, and further events, such as our chapter’s Teen Vogue Back-to-School event in August, a Buffalo Wild Wings fundraiser, and our campus blood drive, also happening Tuesday.

As a result of our increased staff, social media, and all-around awareness on campus, our chapter went from a silver level chapter to a platinum level chapter, jumping up two chapter levels! Now, HC Miami has partnered with Women In Business to bring Her Campus Co-founder Windsor Hanger Western to Miami Tuesday night for her speaking engagement. This is the largest campus event our chapter has hosted, and is just one more way HC Miami is continuing to expand its reach across campus and be a constant resource and collegiette guide for women of Miami.

Hopefully you’ve seen our event flier circulating in the Armstrong Student Center, or our A-Frames displayed around King Library, Slant Walk, and Central Quad. You can also catch us on Miami’s Student Radio Station’s news show, WMSR, tomorrow night at 6:30pm discussing this exciting opportunity for our chapter. Listen live on Redhawk Radio to hear why we think this event will be awesome for you to attend! Apart from an excuse to hang out with our team while also meeting and taking photos with this incredible entrepreneur, we will be giving away Her Campus swag plus Clinique goodies to the first 100 guests to arrive (so snag a seat early!).      

HC Miami’s success isn’t just a result of the leadership our chapter has seen thus far. If it wasn’t for Windsor and her two other co-founders, Her Campus and its 200+ chapters wouldn’t exist!

The idea of Her Campus came about when Windsor began working with Stephanie Kaplan and Annie Wang on Harvard University’s lifestyle and fashion magazine when they were undergraduates in 2009. After creating the business plan for Her Campus and winning the i3 Innovation Challenge, Harvard’s business plan competition, these three women launched the publication in September 2009.

Windsor graduated Harvard in 2010 with a degree in History of Science with a citation in French, and is the President and Publisher of Her Campus. She is in charge of business development, marketing, sales, and event execution with the publication, and has brought on clients such as Victoria’s Secret, PinkBerry, and U by Kotex, among other notable brands.

This Asheville, NC native has been an inspiration both in and out of college. She was a member of Harvard’s Kappa Alpha Theta chapter and was voted one of the 15 most interesting seniors for her 2010 graduating class. Since her undergrad days, Windsor has garnered many other accolades, including being named to BusinessWeek’s 25 Under 25 Best Young Entrepreneurs, Inc. magazine’s 30 Under 30 Coolest Young Entrepreneurs, Glamour magazine’s 20 Amazing Young Women, and The Boston Globe’s 25 Most Stylish Bostonians.

We hope you’ll join us and show off your HC Love this Tuesday, and who knows, you could just land yourself a spot as the next Campus Cutie! We are extremely honored to be welcoming Windsor to Miami’s campus, and anticipate you’ll walk away with entrepreneural tools to achieve your goals in life and attain your career aspirations based on her talk regarding how to start a business with no money, no experience, and no business education. 

Melissa is a senior journalism and psychology major this year at Miami University. She is the president of the Her Campus chapter at Miami University of Ohio, and is a member of several other student organizations.
Alex McNulty

Miami (OH)