This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Miami (OH) chapter.

With Sisterhood Round wrapping up and Preference round tomorrow, I think back to my recruitment experience last year. It felt like a whirlwind but the cringey line of ‘trust the process’ is all too true, especially if you go through recruitment with the right mindset. With that being said, congratulations on making it this far, and here are a few tips and pieces of advice I have for the end of recruitment.

1. Keep the process personal:

It’s not about anyone but you. You are not the same person as your friends, and maybe you’re not meant to join the same chapter as them. It’s best to keep your opinions to yourself because everyone has different experiences, and it’s best for you and your friends!

2. Be vulnerable, with yourself and your chapters:

The more you can open up with people, the more they can open up with you. This allows you to connect with women on a deeper level that will help you understand where you see yourself.

3. Talk it out, with an outsider:

Every night I called my mom who was not in a sorority, to tell her my thoughts. It was so helpful to have the outside perspective because she would say, ‘You sounded different, more excited about this’. Your greatest asset is someone who can be honest and unbiased to help you sort your feelings.

4. Give it a chance:

Even if things don’t go the way you plan, that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s not good. Remember that there are over a thousand women on the other side who went through recruitment and found their homes, and there’s no way it turned out how they expected for each of them. At the end of the day is you join a chapter and it doesn’t feel right, there is always an opportunity to exit.

Good luck with the rest of recruitment!

Mary Clark

Miami (OH) '21

HC Contributing Wrter
Carrie Shaheen

Miami (OH) '19

Miami University President/Writer