Second Semester Resolutions, Will You Achieve Yours?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Merrimack chapter.

New Years has come and gone, but that does not mean the end of picking and choosing resolutions we’d like to stick by. With second semester underway, we all want to succeed . Sometimes we set our goals relatively high and others relatively low. Here’s a few common resolutions, why they fail, and how to make them work.

1. Be Healthier: The most popular of them all, whether this includes weight loss, more exercise, eating healthier, the list goes on. Self control is a big reason why this one fails, but instead of failing miserably by your goal one day, let’s instead call it a “cheat day.” Don’t try banning yourself completely from those treats you love to indulge in, limit yourself so you don’t over do it. If going to the gym daily doesn’t work for you, start with a few days a week and go more when possible. Small changes to your life that are manageable will be easier to maintain and become permanent staples. 
  2. Do Better in School: It can be spending more time in the library, actually going to class, taking better notes; whatever it may be this one can be done! First off, make buddies with the smartest person in class, get their notes if you miss lecture; if you don’t get part of the lecture have the genius explain it to you! That way you’ll have all your bases covered just by hanging out with that one person. And a word to the wise, if you have trouble going to class, make sure you pick times when you know you’ll be up and not battling with the snooze button.
  3. Money Management: Yes Ladies, I know … this one is tricky, especially with the end of season sales going on. Instead of right off the bat trying to save money, look at what you’re spending. Do you really need Starbucks every morning? See where you can cut corners and put that money into a savings account. There are even apps available for smart phones to track what you’re spending and making budgets, one of my favorites is called Mint!
  4. 4. Be More Kind: This one is a resolution everyone can and should do, all it takes is a simple smile to turn someone’s day around. Sometimes when in a rush, you can forget your manners, just slow down and remember to treat everyone with the kindness and respect we all deserve. Manners go a long way with people, so remember you ‘please and thank you’s.’ Want to go the extra mile? Buy the coffee for the person behind you, it’ll be the person’s mind; perhaps it will even start a chain reaction of paying it forward! 
When this fun-loving sorority girl isn't hitting the books or helping plan a ZTA event, she's constantly on the go. As if being a commuter student isn't enough, Joanna is working part-time at a bank, is a member of the executive committee in her sorority, and is working to set up several clubs on campus. When Joanna's got a spare minute to herself, if there is any time to spare, she enjoys eating sushi, attempting to speak German with her friend, cuddling with her Golden Retriever, Dobby, and ordering venti non-fat chai lattes [one of her many downfalls.]