etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Keeping Your Summer Skin During the Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

As the cold weather is moving in, people are wearing more and more clothes to stay warm. When wearing this many layers, it is easy to forget about your skin. However, just because your skin isn’t being constantly exposed doesn’t mean you should neglect it during the winter months. Here are some tips and products that will make it easy to keep your skin smooth, healthy, and glowing during the cold months.

Hydration

Hydration is especially important for your skin in the winter months. The harsh temperatures and dry air make it easy for moisture to escape from your skin. Prevent your skin from drying and cracking by using a moisturizing lotion. It is best to use the lotion immediately after showering to trap in moisture.

Moisturizing Lotion: Josie Maran Whipped Argan Oil Body Butter, $35

Your hands will need even more hydration. Keep a small bottle of lotion nearby to moisturize after washing your hands. If your hands still feel dry, try using a moisturizer then wearing cotton gloves. The gloves will help keep the moisture close as your skin absorbs it. It is important not to forget your lips.

Hand Lotion: Nivea Extended Moisture Hand Cream with Hydra IQ, $5

Gloves: Earth Therapeutics Moisturizing Hand Gloves, $9

The wind and cold can be extremely damaging to your lips. Keep a lip balm on hand to lock in moisture and protect your lips from the elements. This will help to prevent cracking and sores that result from dry skin.

Lip Balm: Evolution of Smooth- Smooth Sphere Lip Balm, $4

Sunscreen

Most people tend to forget sunscreen when they aren’t constantly outside soaking up the sun, but the threat of UV-rays doesn’t disappear in the winter. Add sunscreen to your daily make-up routine to prevent burns. If you still forget the SPF, try buying a moisturizer or foundation with sunscreen already in it.

Tinted Moisturizer: Positively Radiant Tinted Moisturizer SPF 30, $17

Exfoliate

Exfoliating is essential to keeping healthy skin. Use a gentle exfoliator to remove the dead, winter skin. Choose an exfoliator that isn’t too abrasive to avoid irritating and scratching your skin. This is even more important if you have sensitive skin. Give a little extra attention when exfoliating dry, rough areas, such as elbows. Exfoliating will help keep your skin smooth and itch-free.

Exfoliator: Nuance Salma Hayek Walnut Body Scrub, $9

Fake Tan

Skip the tanning bed and invest in a good self-tanner. Tanning beds have no health benefits and can directly cause skin cancer, premature aging, and damaged skin and eyes. Tanning beds also have immediate effects such as dry skin and a suppressed immune system. Fake tans are completely safe and actually have benefits when using them.

A good self-tanner will provide an even bronze color and extra moisturizers for your skin. If you are worried about turning orange, spend a little more to get a better quality tan. Self-tanners have come a long way and can work without producing an orange tint or obnoxious smell. There are also a variety of applications to choose from. Currently there are sprays, gels, mists, lotions, wipes, mousses, and liquids available.

If you are still skeptical, consider using a temporary color or a gradual tanner. It provides the same benefits but without the commitment. Temporary colors are like a foundation for your entire body that will wash off in the shower. Gradual tanners are applied when desired to build up a darker color over time. Instead of being instantly tan, the tan will be adjusted to the desired shade over several days or weeks.

Fake Tanner: St. Tropez Tanning Essentials Self Tan Bronzing Mousse, $32

Avoid Harsh Products

Your skin is under enough stress during the winter months. The last thing you need is to add to it. Choose your products carefully. Instead of using products with alcohol, try using products with more gentle and natural ingredients during the winter.

Avoid Hot Water

As much as you will want to take long, hot showers, try not to. The hot water is damaging to your skin and will leave it feeling dull and dry. Try to take shorter, warm showers and use products that will help trap in the moisture.