Day By Day Resolutions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

With the New Year, I’m sure it’s safe to say that most of us have been thinking about ways to better ourselves and goals that we will strive for- resolutions. However, personally, I’m not good at keeping up with resolutions, and I know several people have difficulty with this. Keeping up with promises all year is kind of a big commitment, don’t you think? This year, instead of focusing on 365 days at one time, why not take it one day at a time? This year, the small things need to be appreciated more. So here are a few things that you can do to make that happen!

Keep a journal:

Journaling is a great way to remember the good and bad, the highs and lows, the bitter and sweet of the year. Journaling is also a good way to deal with the stresses of everyday life. Writing down your feelings helps to sort them out. Treat yourself to a brand new journal. If you invest a little money on a pretty book, you may be more likely to write in it every day. Make sure you keep it on you at all time, and remember journaling can be an entire entry, words, feelings, or even pictures. If you don’t like actually writing, create a blog page and type away. You can even make it private so that you are the only person that can view it. This time next year, you’ll be able to see how much you’ve grown and keep up with your resolution progress.

Snap Cup:

I know we’ve all seen the movie Legally Blonde once, twice, or a billion times. Well, in the sequel, we learn about a wonderful thing called the Snap Cup. In the Snap Cup, you write down positive things about someone and you read them out loud, and there is a whole cute little song thing that goes with it… anyway, it is adorable. My idea is to do that for yourself. Write down positives about yourself every day. Because you are amazing. And on those days when you feel less than, read some to yourself. Because no one can make you feel better than you can!

Remember the simple things in life:

This may sound silly, but I think that on a day-to-day basis, we forget to do the little things that make life great. We forget to stop and smell the roses if you will. I think that we get so caught up in the mundane, necessary things, that fun is quickly thrown by the way side. I recently read an article that gave me several ideas on things to do that take your mind off of the daily stresses. Take a walk. Buy yourself something nice. Read that book you’ve been putting off forever. Try a few, try them all. Why not? It’s a new year, do it right.

Have an adventure:

It’s a new year. Why not make each day an adventure? Try new things. Get a new haircut. Go to a new restaurant. Set a weird goal (like reading all of Jane Austen’s books in a month). And do something you thought was unattainable. For me, it’s putting myself in social situations. What is it for you?

Overall, I am the anti-resolution chick. Setting myself up for a full year of failure seems a bit of a bad way to start things off. But taking the year day-by-day is a great idea! That’s hundreds of opportunities to have a great day. So use these ideas and use some of your own to make 2014 the greatest year ever!

Desirrae is a small-town girl with dreams of making it in the big city... Well not really. She is a freshman who decided she needed to write more than she needed almost anything else. She is a journalism major who fantasizes about being as important as Barbara Walters someday. When she isn't writing, Desirrae can be found reading, watching Netflix, spending time with her friends at school, or talking to her families from home... Or sleeping. Probably sleeping.