15 Things Only Mercer Students Understand

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Mercer chapter.

When you attend Mercer University, some things are a given. Everyone knows we bleed black and orange. Everyone knows we support our Bears like no other. Everyone knows our basketball team brings the heat. They know we party just as hard as we study. They know a degree from Mercer University means you’re going places. But that still isn’t the whole story. Have you ever tried to describe what water tastes like? Yeah, it doesn’t really work out. There are some things you just have to experience to understand. Being a student at this fine institution is kind of like that. Going to Mercer University means managing to “be the bear” through both the most amazing and frustrating times. 

1. When the WIFI decides to play a rousing game of hide-and-seek the night before a big assignment is due.

Source

2. Trying to find a parking spot somewhere near where you live, or anywhere at all for that matter. Let’s not even begin to talk about game days; not only are regular spots taken, but people have a tendency to park in the middle of the road.

Source

3. When the sprinklers around the apartments thoroughly water the sidewalks, stairs, rails, and lampposts. You know, everything but the actual grass. Good luck jumping over the rivers that are left behind.

Source

4. When there is a troop of bagpipe players enthusiastically practicing in the parking lot. Yeah, bagpipes.

Source

5. When the Caf’s selections are less than amazing. Okay, a bit dissappointing. Alright, terrible. We all have to wait it out for Mac and Cheese day, or atleast hope that the sandwhich line is not too long. Have fun liviing off of bagels, brown bananas, and cereal.

Source

6. When you just really need it to be 4:00 p.m. already so you can use a precious meal swipe at the University Center.

Source

7. When it’s 10:30 p.m., you’re starving, and Subway is out of ham, turkey, chicken, cheese, and bread. Or just as likely, 5:00 in the evening on a weekend, and the food court has decided to close early all together.

Source

8. When you’re just trying to have a good night out, but every club downtown, including ENVY expects you to actually pay.

Source

9. When you’ve spent weeks planning out the perfect schedule, but registration ends with you having every class you don’t want or need.

Source

10. When you plot and scheme how best to skip the line at Midnight Movie. Sorry Quadworks—we all do it.

Source

11. One great thing about being at a small school is getting to class in no time, right? Some how, we all end up leaving 4 minutes before class starts, and by the time you are sitting down and pulling out your books, you are in a pool of sweat. That’s the price you have to pay for basically climbing Mt. Everest to get to class in Willet or Willingham or even passing the UC.

Source

12. When you waited too long to pick up your student ticket for the football game and the only seats left are in the berm section.

Source

13. Wednesdays. Enough said.

Source

14. When you walk in the caf to find delicious food, but realize it is only for the admissions people. Sorry guys, the food is never this good.

Source

15. When people who don’t live the Mercer life try to talk about our school.

Source