christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Memphis chapter.

Wake up in the morning, time to check my twitter (Ke$ha voice).

This week we are tackling the topic of technology! I’m 98% sure each and every one of you reading this has some sort of social media account whether it’s Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, Tinder, or even the ancient Myspace. Whether we’ll admit it or not, the tech life is def impacting our daily routine.

As soon as you wake up, what’s the first thing you grab for? Your phone, right? We immediately check all of our notifications on all of our social media accounts. After that we might even scroll over our timeline to catch the lastest gossip, news, and see which celebrity dyed there hair this week. While getting ready, we’re playing music (on our phones). Whether it’s Pandora or Spotify, we’re still using technology. 

So you’re finally on campus and as the day drones on you find yourself once again fumbling with your phone: in the middle of class, waiting in line for food at the UC, at lunch when you’re avoiding human interaction, on the way to class before you get wiped off the sidewalk by the usual skateboarder, or even in the restroom (we’re all guilty,). That’s the norm right? As young adults we’re supposed to be constantly pressed to an LED screen rather than interacting with those presently around us.

But why not change that? For this week, I challenge all of our readers to take at least one hour out of your day and set it aside for some time with friends, hanging outside, painting or crafting, or just relaxing without technology. Trust me, you’ll actually enjoy the experience and maybe even do it more than one time a day. In this new age, technology has proven to be wonderful in many ways, but at the same time it has hindered a lot of social interaction and independence. I know everyone of you has been in a class and has looked up to see everyone on their phones instead of actually talking to one another. 

Get your girlfriends to try this challenge too. Hope you have a great week using less technonlgy. 

Howdy (get it bc we're from the South, duh). I'm currently a freshman at the University of Memphis studying to become a pediatric nurse, but who knows, I may wind up channeling my inner Cristina Yang and becoming a cardiothoracic surgeon. We'll see where life takes me. I'm an active member of Up Til Dawn, GDIs United, and Fratbag Lovers R Us. The last two are clearly a humorous joke, and if you didn't laugh then we can't be friends. I'm an avid talker, Netflix watcher, and obsessed Grey's Anatomy fan. Hope ya'll enjoy my tidbits of thought :-)