This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MDC chapter.

Advice from an International College student

Hi. I’m an international student, currently studying abroad at Miami Dade-College. This is my second year studying abroad at a community college and I promise that if you are reading this and you are a new student, you have nothing to worry about.

First off, I know you’re probably feeling that bubble of worry and doubt in your throat, as you enter an unfamiliar situation. But please, take a breather. Arriving to a new place and meeting new people will always be nerve-wracking. Naturally as humans we want to belong somewhere . But we must understand that in order to familiarize a place, we must first open our minds to meet and accept everything that comes our way. So, my first advice will be to relax and smile. Be that person everyone wants to get to know because of the positive energy you give out. I promise that even if you are terrified out of your mind, a genuine smile can cure any “butterflies in the stomach” experience.

My next advice will focus on the academic life. We all want to succeed in our education why else would we put all that time and effort into college? You have to think about this every time you want to procrastinate and get lazy with college work. I’m not going to lie and say it will not be a challenge but leaving homework for the last minute is a habit we should leave in high school. Being in college will prove that you are mature enough to know when to party and when to study, learning how to prioritize what’s important is a skill that will benefit you for years to come.

Finally, my last and most important advice will be to have fun. You will make mistakes, it is inevitable. You will encounter awkward moments with other students and professors, yes. But believe me, we ll go through these moments and we survive it, and you will too. Stop worrying and overthinking so much and just go with it. The college experience is one that you will forever cherish in your life and it will help you grow not only as a student but as a person. Do not let this amazing time be overshadowed by the scary emotion that we all have. Smile, study and have fun!

A free spirit who was born and raised in sunny Miami, Fl, Valerie currently studies at Miami-Dade College and is working toward a degree in journalism in hopes of making a difference in the world by unraveling her inner activist through her writing and actions. Everyday making progress little by little.