EditorialRepjpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
EditorialRepjpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What to Get Your Partner for Valentine’s Day Based on Their Love Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Valentine’s Day can be a tricky time but we all deserve a day to celebrate the love (or like-like, if you aren’t there yet) that we have in our lives. If you plan to celebrate, the pressure to give your partner the perfect gift might be a little overwhelming. Thankfully there’s a fool-proof way to guarantee that your Valentine will love whatever you get them – tailor the gift to your partner’s love language!

The five love languages are the most common ways that people express and receive love. If you don’t know yours (and want to find out!) you can take the quiz, or you can check out this fantastic article by fellow McMaster contributor, Cynthia Duong. We all have to make sure that our significant others are receiving love in a way they understand, and gift giving is no exception. 

Whether you’re celebrating with your girls, with your long distance partner, or in person with your Valentine, here are the best gifts for the five love languages – at three different price points!

Receiving Gifts

If this is your partner’s love language, try to think of physical things they can keep forever, rather than an experience. 

DIY

Make them a playlist! Fill it with love songs, or spell out a secret message with the first word of every song – the choice is yours! Leave your love with the gift that keeps on giving.

$

Flowers! Is this the most basic gift ever? Yes. But go one step further; flowers die, so include a vase they can keep forever.

$$$

If you have extra money to spend, then look for a piece of jewelry that feels personal to you. Not a jewelry wearer? Try a perfume or cologne instead. Smells are powerful memory tools, so they’re sure to think of you every time they catch a whiff. 

Quality Time

If your partner loves quality time, gift them your undivided attention.

DIY

Promise them a day at home. Set up with blankets, pillows, snacks and drinks. String up some lights and let your partner pick out their favorite movies. If you can’t be together, try out Teleparty while on FaceTime!

$

Set up an activity for the two of you to do together (either COVID-safe or plan a future date)! A trip to an art gallery is still possible with a virtual tour, like this one of The Louvre. If you’re looking for something else COVID-safe, then try an online escape room

$$$

Plan a weekend getaway! Rent an Airbnb or a weekend stay at a hotel. If you can’t do this yet, plan the trip together on Valentine’s Day. Who said Valentine’s Day had to be confined to the 14th?

Acts of Service

If your partner’s love language is acts of service, do something for them to show you care.

DIY

Remember those coupon booklets you used to make for your parents in elementary school? Bring those back. Throw in cute activities like “10 minute cuddle” or errands like “coffee run.” This gift is sure to leave you with an appreciative Valentine. 

$

Make them a fancy dinner. Set the table properly, do all of the cooking (even do the cleaning). Then sit back after that delicious meal and think about how great of a Valentine you are. Don’t forget dessert!

$$$

If you want to go all out, get them a day at the spa while you do all the things they’ve been meaning to get to. Not possible because of COVID? Instead, ask them to set up a wish list from Amazon or a store of their choice, and pick a few items to buy that they might have never bought for themselves. 

Physical Touch

If your partner’s love language is physical touch, try to focus on gifts that give them that physical sensation.

DIY

Give them a massage! Google is your best friend on this one. Search the best ways to give a massage, and be sure to make it personal. You can even use lotion that you already have to make it feel more luxurious, all without breaking the bank.

$

Buy your partner anything that feels nice; a body scrub, bath bomb, or a cozy robe. Something that provides a new or comforting sensation will satisfy their desire for physical touch and have them appreciating you even more. 

$$$

Gift your partner a certificate for a massage therapy centre. Letting them know that you understand their needs is a perfect way to say “I love you.”

Words of Affirmation

If your partner’s love language is words of affirmation, shower them in compliments while you hand them your heartfelt gift. 

DIY

Write your partner a love letter! For people with this love language there is nothing like getting written confirmation that you really love and appreciate them. Having something to look back on when you aren’t there will mean the world to them.

$

Buy and play the card game We’re Not Really Strangers. It’s meant to deepen relationships by progressively asking more personal questions. Chances are you get the opportunity to express how you feel about them and pour your heart out!

$$$

Why not physically get them your voice? Check out the unique gift of sound wave art on Etsy ! Send in a recording of something meaningful, and the artist will etch the sound wave and the phrase into an acrylic block to make for a beautiful piece of décor and a sentimental gift that your lover of words is sure to treasure.

Valentine’s Day can be whatever you make of it, but after such a tough year, I think we all need a little bit of extra love. Gather the people you love the most and show them how much you care with a gift tailored to their love language. I promise these gifts will be all they talk about for weeks to come.

Selena is a second year student at McMaster pursuing a double major in Biology and Psychology, Neuroscience and Behaviour. When she isn't studying you can find her writing short stories, making Spotify playlists or on the hunt for a new coffee shop.