This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Music has always had a deep-rooted place in my heart. I’m not sure if it correlates with my parents enrolling me in piano lessons at the young age of 3, or if it was my father constantly listening to his favourite artists from the ’80s: Rod Stewart, Phil Collins, Madonna and many more. 

Music has played a huge role in shaping who I have become. Even now, at the age of 20, the second I feel overwhelmed I like to step outside with my puppy and play my all-time favourite comfort songs. Interestingly, I have noticed my music taste evolve as I’ve gotten older. I’d like to believe that now I’ve developed a niche for the type of music I listen to, which includes indie artists such as Maggie Rogers, Sufjan Stevens, Bleachers, Hippo Campus and Billie Marten. Not to mention my long-time favourite artists, Harry Styles and Taylor Swift. And, of course, the Mamma Mia soundtrack takes the place of honorary mention. Suffice to say, I have developed a special connection with music. The sounds play as soon as the dawn creeps up and the stars twinkle at night. I feel as though I am the main character, in my own special movie when I open my ears and heart to the beat of every song I listen to. 

I felt it only right to shared my current top 12 favourite songs – in no particular order – that make me feel like the main character!

Golden – Harry Styles

For when you want an uplifting song to dance your heart away to, and sing along at the top of your lungs. 

Heart of Glass – Blondie

The perfect heartbreak song.

Dancing Queen – ABBA/Mamma Mia Cast

For the moments you want to feel young and alive.

From Gold – Novo Amor

When you want to experience transcending sounds.

Live – Billie Marten

When you have the urge to explore the world and live your life on your own terms

Sweet – Cigarettes After Sex

The perfect love song.

Until We Get There – Lucius

To remind yourself that whatever point you are at in your life, it’s going to be okay.

Warm Glow – Hippo Campus

A calm song to listen to when you go for a walk.

Hope is a Heartache – Leon

This song title sums up the song.

Cardigan – Taylor Swift

My favourite Taylor Swift song.

Midtown Waitress – The Paper Kites

The song that tells a familiar, but distinct story. My favourite line is “Oh, the things we do to make it on our own.”

Burning – Maggie Rogers

The song that reminds you that you are alive and have grasped a feeling of excitement you do not want to let go.

This is most definitely not an exhaustive list, but these songs go hand in hand with all the experiences of my life, whether it be heartbreak, sadness, or a burning urge to live life unapologetically. It’s like my personal soundtrack for my life’s movie.