No Better Option Than a SPCA Adoption: 3 Reasons to Choose a Rescue Dog

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

This past year has been a rollercoaster, full of unexpected turns and nightmares. I know for myself – and many of you can easily relate – that quarantine has provided most of us with a lot of extra time at home. This has inspired some people and families to finally welcome into their lives that dog they have always wanted. Over the span of this year, I have seen numerous posts on social media of friends and acquaintances who are using their time in quarantine to purchase a puppy from a breeder, rather than adopting an animal from a shelter. With Christmas fast approaching – a popular holiday for many “pet wanters” – we can expect even more Instagram posts of cute and lovable puppies under the Christmas tree. This is not a bash against the hardworking and reputable breeders, it is rather a bark for help to give every single adoptable dog their “furever” home they have been patiently waiting to find. Here are three reasons to adopt, not shop:

It Is Good for Your Wallet 

Adopting a dog from a rescue shelter will save you from potentially spending thousands of dollars, and this is no exaggeration. Adoption fees exist, but are generally a lot less than buying a pure-bred dog. The cost of spaying/neutering, first vaccinations and possibly microchipping are typically included in the adoption price – this is a much more affordable approach that will save you money on the up-front costs of your new furry friend. In addition to this, depending on the animal and their age, it is likely that you will save your time and money on housebreaking and training. Less money being spent means more money to spend on treats, toys, and adventures. That sounds like a deal to me!

You Are Saving a Life 

Besides the cost benefits, you will be doing the obvious deed of saving a life. Every year in the US alone, there are more than six million lost, abandoned, abused or unwanted dogs and cats that enter animal shelters, and an estimated amount of one million adoptable pets that are euthanized due to overcrowding. This can be reduced drastically if we choose to adopt our pets.

You Are Helping More Than Just One Animal 

Not only do you get to see the life of one dog change from feeling hopeless and forgotten, to becoming the queen or king of the house, but you are also helping those behind the scenes. The cost of your adoption fee goes directly towards helping the shelter take better care of its animals and will also open up space for other animals to enter the shelter. Your act of kindness will go a long way and it will feel rewarding. 

In their very short lives, many shelter animals have experienced feeling unloved and unwanted, so all they desire is a loving and forever home. They have no expectations, so their needs are easy to satisfy – a warm cozy bed, daily walks and endless amounts of belly rubs. I can tell you from personal experience that your shelter dog will be your best mate, and when you’re feeling low, they will be there for you like you were there for them. Check out your local animal shelter to donate, book an appointment or attend an event – your possible furry friend will be waiting to give you a lifetime supply of cuddles and kisses!

Chelsea Ogden

McMaster '23

Chelsea is a 2023 Communications Studies graduate from McMaster University. She is passionate about writing and looks forward to pursuing her goal of working in the entertainment and consumer industry as a public relations practitioner. Her Campus has provided her with the opportunity to have a creative outlet and to gain experience as a writer.