Wellness > Health

Gluten-Free: Not Just a Trend but a Lifestyle Choice

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McMaster chapter.

Gluten-free diets have become the latest nutritional trend and buzzword. Influencers promote and rave about the health benefits, groceries stores have (small) dedicated sections, and restaurants have kindly started to use the symbol “GF.” It’s everywhere! While the popular notion within diet culture is that gluten-free products will serve an advantage to your weight loss and fitness journey, for some people like myself, going gluten-free was something way more than following the latest fad. 

The Beginning 

Growing up, I never had an issue with food. I could eat anything and everything I wanted without any consequences to my body – if only I could tell my younger self to embrace those moments because they would soon be over. Throughout the past few years, both my mom and I have seen a major change in our way our bodies react to food. We were continuously suffering from bloating, stomach pains and indigestion, which we soon learned was the result from eating gluten. We’re blessed that we don’t have celiac disease, which is a serious autoimmune condition that can severely damage the small intestine if you digest gluten, but we do have an intolerance. This was the start to my gluten-free journey and lifestyle that would help me to enjoy delicious foods again.

The Transition 

I’m not a gluten-free expert, but I do have some tricks up my sleeve thanks to Google and Pinterest! It’s been a slow process going through my nutritional transition and I’m still continuing to learn and improve my habits each day. My main takeaway from this experience so far is that every little thing counts, including the small crackers and the toast you have for breakfast. Once you target the smaller products that may seem irrelevant, it will become second nature to stick with it and tackle larger gluten-containing meals. I noticed this process involved numerous taste testing and experimental meals to find the perfect balance that worked for me. 

One year later

Reflecting on this past year has made me extremely grateful for my perseverance to try something new for the benefit of my own health and well-being. I didn’t take on this journey to fit in with a trend or to lose weight, I did it to feel good in my body. After a year of being on a regular gluten-free diet I have noticed a great reduction in bloating, stomach pains and indigestion. I also found a new source of energy and motivation, which is possibly an extension to not being in discomfort. Overall, my biggest transformation has been my eating habits – I eat less grains and have replaced it with fresh produce. It’s crazy to see my cravings change and to admit that I’m eating more vegetables than ever before, and I love it! Now don’t get me wrong, I still crave chocolate donuts and will occasionally give in and listen to my stomach. But knowing how good I feel today, I would rather find gluten-free junk food as an alternative. 

I found what works best for me, and I encourage others who are suffering from stomach issues to find your balance. It might not be a gluten-free lifestyle, but discovering what food works for you, or against you, can change your life in the most positive way! 

Chelsea Ogden

McMaster '23

Chelsea is a 2023 Communications Studies graduate from McMaster University. She is passionate about writing and looks forward to pursuing her goal of working in the entertainment and consumer industry as a public relations practitioner. Her Campus has provided her with the opportunity to have a creative outlet and to gain experience as a writer.