ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ricardo gomez angel 3kzlCL3rj8A unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What to do When you’re Feeling Uncertain About your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

It’s normal for incoming college students to feel a lot of stress. College is a new environment with lots of new faces, so it’s perfectly fine to feel overwhelmed. There’s so much you have to get used to: being on your own for the first time, managing money, making friends, etc. On top of all of those things, you’re expected to have the rest of your life planned out. What?! It was only months ago that you were asking to use the restroom – now you’re expected to make all these life changing choices? What gives?!

It’s okay to not have everything planned out. It’s okay to not know what your major is or even to second guess your major. You have more time, than you can imagine.

If you’re an undecided student, do research! Whether it’s reading about possible majors online or talking to professors in different departments, doing research is extremely beneficial. Do not overwork yourself, don’t spend hours beyond hours researching to the point of headaches and tears. Allow yourself some breathing time. It’s okay to not know what your major is, I promise. Also reach out to the Center of Student Success and Engagement (CSSE) for guidance. They’re there to help you; use your resources to the fullest extent possible.

Second guessing your major, is something I’ve experienced, and seen firsthand. It’s easy to let your mistakes gain control of you and make you feel like your dream is impossible. In my case, I’m a freshman journalism student, and mastering the appropriate AP formats for stories can be a little tough and confusing. With all writing it is extremely discouraging to get your paper back and see so much red ink and pencil markings where you’ve made mistakes. It’s extremely overwhelming and discouraging. What if I can never master the art that is news writing?

Relax. It’s okay to make mistakes. We’re here in college to learn and grow as learners. If we knew everything about our majors, why would we even be in school? If we were at that level, we’d already be out there in the workforce. It is okay to not be a master of basic skills or even to remember everything that you’re learning in class. Practice makes perfect.

Never compare yourself to your classmates. This is a very hard thing to do, but you’ve got to avoid it. On the surface, it may seem like your classmates have everything planned out, and that they’re doing a great job with basic skills and general retention of knowledge, but remember that looks can be deceiving. Most likely, they’re in the same boat as you: nervous and scared; and even if they do think they’ve got everything figured out, don’t worry about them. Just do you and it will all work out in the end. I promise.

It never hurts to reach out to a trusted professor or even to your advisor for extra guidance. Sometimes all it takes is a little reassurance to lift your mood, and erase away all of your doubts. Having another person who supports you and believes in you, is a great feeling. Also remember to reach out to your family as well. Your family wants nothing more than to see you succeed, and they want nothing more than to see your beautiful smile. Sometimes a simple phone call with mom, dad, or even a sibling can be worth it. They love you and they’re proud of you, no matter what. I promise.

It’s okay to explore classes outside of your prospective major. If you’re not doing so this semester, try it out for next semester! Take a class that sounds interesting to you. Whether it be a science or history class, try it out, you might be surprised by the results. You could find a hidden passion or career path that you hadn’t considered before. Experience is a great way to learn and see if something really is for you or not; something may seem great on paper, or even as a daydream, but until you’ve actually started learning the subject or even experiencing that discipline, you don’t know for sure. Keep your mind open and, if all else fails, double major or add a minor if you can.

Second guessing yourself is inevitable, no matter how much our pride and ego, like to think otherwise. Remember that it’s normal to unsure about your major, even if you absolutely love it and all that it has to offer. Uncertainty and setbacks don’t mean that you’re incapable of your chosen path. Always remember that you are still in the process of learning, even after you’ve graduated MCLA. Life is a lifelong learning experience, try to take with it an open mind; you might be surprised with the things you learn and the adventures you take. 

Emily Gabert is a English/Communications major with a concentration in journalism and Broadcast Media at MCLA. She's trying to take life, one day at a time, and trying to become a better person by day. She likes writing, probably a little too much.