How to find your dream internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

To some this may come as news but internship application season is here! Deadlines are flying by but you’re never too late to apply to some which are rolling or even create your own. Here’s seven tips to keep in mind when looking for an internship:

1)   Always make sure your resume fits the internship you are going for. And that your cover letter is specific to that internship.

Every internship has a description of what they are looking for but what they don’t mention all the time is that they want to hear in your cover letter why you are interested in them specifically. But that doesn’t mean just showing off what you know about them; highlight your skills that they could use as part of their team. Look at their site for their mission, pay attention to the wording they use in the description of what they’re looking for. It makes a big difference when they can tell you’ve done your research.

2)   Use sites like Internships by Chegg, Intern Queen and Looksharp for easy searches.

These are probably the easiest way to filter through the hundreds of Google search items that come up for, let’s say, “Communications Internship.” Each of these sites is unique in that Internships by Chegg is more of a straight search and so is Looksharp’s InternMatch, but Intern Queen gives advice as well from the perspective of former interns.

3)   But don’t forget to look at the sites of companies you want to work for!

All companies have a section on their site devoted to careers where you can find out if they have open internship positions. They usually post summer internships right after the previous summer ends (a summer of 2016 position might be posted in September of 2015) so it’s best to go directly to their site to find out deadlines as soon as possible. Also, it’d give you a better idea of who you would be working for if you go to the site itself and check who their current team is.

4)   Talk to other students to find out where they interned (and if they actually learned from it)

It’s easy to forget that other students have been in the same position you are in and many have taken the same internships you are thinking of applying for. Reach out to students in your same major or minor and see what internships they recommend (or warn you not to take). Also, alumni are a great source of information as well since they either have taken plenty of internships or are currently working somewhere that they may be able to get you into if you ask appropriately.

5)   BE MINDFUL OF DEADLINES!

The best way to do this is to stay organized by keeping a list of the internships you are applying for and their deadlines. Even if the deadline is rolling or isn’t for a while, give yourself a deadline that is sooner so that you don’t procrastinate and wait for the last minute to apply. The worst thing you can do is miss an opportunity because you forgot to get a recommendation in time or completely forgot because you had schoolwork to do.

6)   Apply for internship funds or scholarships if you can’t get credit or don’t need the credit. Don’t focus on getting paid!

Here at MCLA the scholarships list is usually the same from year to year and there are tons of scholarships available that people forget to apply for. For journalism there is an internship fund  that students can apply for and if they have a summer internship or even fall internship, they can get paid by the school for it ($4,000!). There are some funds you can find online as well but worst case scenario you can get credits instead or a requirement fulfilled depending on your major. Also, a lot of the time internships don’t have to be full time so if you did it part time you could have a job as well and make money that way so your summer isn’t as low on funds.

7)   Talk to professors to see if they have suggestions or connections that you could utilize.

This is probably one of the most important aspects. Using all your networks to their maximum is the easiest way to find internships that will be valuable in the long run. Professors usually know people from their work in the field and can connect you to employers or even give you advice on where to look. It doesn’t hurt to have their word on your side as a reference either which is why it’s always important to do well in your courses and develop a good relationship with your professors. Don’t forget to thank them as well whether or not their efforts do result in your getting an internship!

Hi! I'm Idalis, a junior at MCLA. Currently I write for The Beacon and work for the Multicultural Center here. I also am the president of Crafting Club and part of the Student Government Association. I like to write about a variety of topics but am most passionate about music, crafting, and writing.