stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

Bad Days Aren’t Forever

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at MCLA chapter.

We all go through those terrible days—where we feel like we can’t do anything right or we feel like the world is crumbling down around us. We also have those days where we just want to stay in bed and do nothing, or maybe for you it is something completely different. Regardless of what it looks like, we all have our bad days where not everything is great, or things just aren’t going our way. The past seems to creep back up on us during times when we are trying to forget.

So, the question is, how do we handle those kinds of days? I do not have the answer to this, as some days I truly have a rough time just making it through to the end of my day. Recently, I have realized that having a long-overdue cry helps me the best. That may seem backwards to some but being able to get it out is such a good feeling. Letting all of your feelings flow out of you and not holding anything back is a great way to handle the stresses of life. Talk to my boyfriend, he sees me every time I need a good cry (which is usually a few times a week). 

Lately I have been having more bad days than good, but I know that it is okay and normal for that to be happening; of course, everything can’t be amazing all of the time. The truth of it is, I still try my best to be as positive as I can be, given that I am a college student and life is hitting me hard at the moment. I am constantly thinking about my future and what it is going to look like, but I have to pull myself in sometimes and focus on the present. The good thing about all of this is that yes, I am stressing about the future, but I am no longer looking at the experiences from my past that have wrecked me. I still delve into my past at some points, but I no longer see those experiences as terrible things that have happened to me, I see them as lessons and blessings.

I think that a lot of people dwell on their past in a way that is negative to their well-being and mental health. I know I did that for a large portion of my life. I noticed that dwelling on the past turned my bad days into even worse days. I learned how to deal with my past in a positive sense, and I think that is something everyone should learn how to do. I can’t tell you exactly how I did it, because at first it only became “forgetting” my past through terrible coping mechanisms. I do not know what I did, or how to even begin explaining what I did to others to get to where I am today. I know I am a strong person; I have gotten through some tough issues, but I do not let them hold me back anymore. My bad days have brought up some of those past issues, but I know they do not define me. 

Bad days do not last forever. They will eventually end, even if a bad day turns into a bad week or even a bad month. Bad times are never forever. Cry if you need to, it never hurts to let out those toxic feelings you’ve been holding in.

Kellie is a sophomore at MCLA. She’s a Psychology major with a minor in Behavior Analysis. Her true passion is dancing!