clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Some Words of Wisdom From an Undergraduate in Her Last Week of Classes (Ever)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

When I walk through the Roddick gates this Monday, I will feel as cold, as absorbed in my music, and as constantly preoccupied with my daily to-do list as any other day. However, I’m also anticipating a moment of realization where I suddenly become all too aware that this Monday is the start of my last full week as an undergraduate student at McGill.

It’s been difficult for reality to set in lately, partly because it’s strange to be graduating in December. It doesn’t feel right: it feels like this semester, which I’ve really been enjoying, is getting cut off abruptly. I’ve been preaching a particular argument to anyone who kindly reminds me of my imminent departure from McGill: it’s not real (for me at least) until that diploma is in my hand! If we’re going to consider logistics, the previously mentioned fact is kind of true, because the grades don’t officially go through until February. Nonetheless, I’m choosing see the few months ahead as a transitory period, where the building blocks for the rest of the near future can be found through different little experiences. I think regardless of whether or not we’re continuing classes, come January, all of the class of 2017 will be starting to dip their feet a little deeper into the waters of post-grad life.

So, dear collegiettes, as I finish my undergrad years by entering into a deeper-than-ever exam-and-essay coma, I want to leave some words of wisdom for those last few days or months you have left at university (for either this year, or, well, forever):

1. Find a balance between work and play- it’s possible, but it’s not easy.

In previous semesters, I’ve been guilty of letting academics completely take over me, to the point where finals period was pretty much friend-free. There are plenty of people who function best when they’re studying at home, alone, and don’t like too many distractions, and that’s fantastic. What I’ve learned is that having company and some distractions even in the most crazy school times (which could be every week at McGill) keeps you sane. A party or even a dinner with a friend is something to look forward to, a motivating force to push you to get that essay done before a certain time. Finding a fine balance between schoolwork, extra-curricular work, and the work of going out is difficult, especially since we’re relying on other people with different schedules to make sure certain plans follow through. However many people you need to reach out to, and however many hours it takes, make sure you get what you feel you need- but in moderation of course, since too much of either is just as unhealthy as nothing at all.

2. Go all in (in terms of academics)

It shouldn’t be hard to follow through with this, being the hardcore McGill bookworms we are known to be. However, laziness and procrastination are very easy to come by, especially now, when our beds seem so inviting after trekking from one place to another in the snow. Even if every bone in your body says no, work your hardest when you designate time for work! That way, when you leave a precious hour or two for Netflix and self-care, you feel the pride that comes from having earned that time. There will come a time where heavy loads of reading, and essay writing won’t be keeping you busy at all hours of the day (unless of course, you choose to further pursue academics): I believe when you know that that’s a possibility in the foreseeable future, it motivates you to work harder, and value your library time a little bit more.

3. Enjoy every part of being here.

You have been given an incredible gift. You are being educated at a world-renowned university in a field you (hopefully) are fascinated with (and if you’re not, please find something you are fascinated with, for your sake) by incredibly qualified professors, researchers and students. You live in a city that somehow still manages to maintain its culture, beauty, and party scene through beyond-below-zero winters. You are part of an incredible student community at this university, whether you live on-campus or far, far from it. I’ve learned that it’s not realistic to do every imaginable “college bucket-list” worthy item, especially if you’re trying to squeeze in some wacky shenanigans special for your senior year. Regardless of how you choose to tackle your undergraduate degree, take advantage of all McGill can offer you, and don’t be afraid to seek out new and special experiences.

Take some time out when you’re studying tirelessly, look around at those around you, and look outside. Take a deep breath. Take a break. Smile. Do whatever you can whenever you can, and however you can, so when it’s finally your turn to walk up on stage in cap and gown, you’re happy with what you’ve accomplished, and you’re ready for anything “the real world” has to throw in your way

Image Sources:

Thumbnail image and First Body Image are the author’s own.

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-GU065_COLLEG_P_20150203172719.jpg

Born and raised in Montreal, Hailey is a second year McGill student, majoring in English-Cultural Studies and minoring in Communications. She can almost always be found at a coffee shop or library near campus with a coffee in her hand and a large set of books.  In addition to her love for writing, she absolutely adores celebrity gossip, Netflix, music, and all things concerning Oprah Winfrey. She is thrilled to be writing for HerCampus, and is excited for you to see her contributions!