The Silencing of LGBT Advocates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With the current social climate shifting towards a more inclusive attitude towards LGBT people, alongside legislature that grants certain rights, it is easy to forget that there are still hundreds of thousands of LGBT people who are persecuted and shamed for their identity. Mashrou’ Leila is a Lebanese band notorious for their entertaining themes and satirical lyrics. Their music brings to light many flaws and aspects of Lebanese society that is not addressed by mainstream Arabic music. Mashrou’ Leila are outspoken supporters of religious and political freedom, gender equality and sexual identity, and their lead singer is also openly gay.

On Tuesday, the Jordanian government ‘banned’ Mashrou’ Leila from performing in the Roman amphitheater in Amman. Officially, their explanation was that the band’s music was not in line with the “authenticity” of the site, though they had performed in the same location numerous times prior. In their official statement the band alluded to other factors. Supposedly, high rank authorities had bribed and pressured political figures, setting off what the band calls a “chain of events that ultimately ended with our authorization being withdrawn.” Mashrou’ Leila has also been unofficially informed that they will never be allowed to play in Jordan again due to their ‘unpopular’ beliefs and endorsements. Though Jordan has not outlawed homosexuality, societal discrimination against LGBT persons is prevalent and, according to BBC, they are targets of abuse.

Despite the leaps and bounds the world has seen in recent years, there is still rampant discrimination. Such prejudice takes place covertly in ‘progressive’ countries such as the US and Canada, and takes a more public form elsewhere as is seen with Mashrou’ Leila. Great lengths are taken to silence and prosecute the voices of those who stand up for the world’s injustices; many of these voices happen to be artists and musicians who have a large audience. Since Mashrou’ Leila’s statement was released, their loyal followers within and outside of the Middle East have expressed their grievances. The band and their fans are hopeful the Kingdom of Jordan will reconsider their stance during the “ongoing battle for a culture of freedom against the regressive powers of thought control and cultural coercion.”

Sources:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-36148343

Featured Image Source:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Ec7NNgQ7bvs/maxresdefault.jpg