Montreal Metro Adventures: Places to Visit Along the Metro Line

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

One of the best perks of going to McGill is being able to live in the big, bustling city of Montreal. With countless places to explore, you can never be bored. Another great advantage of this city is its metro system. With four metro lines and affordable fares, sightseeing in Montreal is easy.

We start our adventure on the green line. From McGill, if you head three stops in the direction of Angrignon, you’ll find yourself at Atwater. Staying underground, you can head over to Place Alexis Nihon, an extensive shopping center that includes stores such as Target, Canadian Tire, Winners, and Dollarama. To see the full list of stores at Place Alexis Nihon, check out the website. Another cool spot worth stopping by at this metro station is the Atwater Public Market. Here, you’ll find fresh produce and a wide variety of delicatessens for great prices. For more information on Atwater Public Market, check the link here.  

The Botanical Gardens of Montreal are a must-see. The gardens are just a few minutes’ walk from the Pie-IX metro station on the green line, nine stops from the McGill metro station, in the direction of Honoré-Beaugrand. From now until November 2nd, the Botanical Gardens are putting on a nightly show called Gardens of Light in their Japanese garden. While you’re viewing the gardens, make sure to also visit the insectarium and Biodome, which are at the same location. To find out how to get your tickets, go to their website.   

Place d’Armes metro station on the orange line is just two stops after Berri-UQAM in the direction of Côte-Vertu. Here, you can take in the sights at Old Montreal, or you can immerse yourself in Chinese culture in Chinatown. Starting with Old Montreal, the Notre Dame Basilica frequently holds a sound and light show. Fun fact: this church is also where Celine Dion held her wedding in 1994. You can check here for more information about Notre Dame Basilica and its shows. Another notable point in Old Montreal is the eternal Christmas store, Noël Éternel. Located at 461 rue Saint-Sulpice, this adorable store is Christmas-themed year-round and sells all sorts of Christmas decorations from tacky, ornaments to giant Santa Claus figurines. To find out the store’s business hours and contact information, check out their website

Also steps away from the Place d’Armes metro station is Montreal’s Chinatown. If you want to try authentic Asian food, this is the place to be. In particular, if you’d like to try authentic dumplings, handmade for you on the spot, order a meal at Mai Xiang Yuan, located at 1084 Boulevard Saint-Laurent. There may be a line, but it is well worth the wait. You can check out the restaurant’s menu, but keep in mind Chinatown is full of delicious foods that must not be missed! 

Our last stop on the orange line and on this metro adventure is Mont-Royal, which is two stops after Berri-UQAM in the direction of Montmorency. Avenue Mont-Royal is filled with the loveliest shops, cafes, and bakeries. One café worth stopping at is Café Expressions, just a short walk from the metro station. This cafe supports fair trade coffee and tea, and has the perfect atmosphere for studying. A few steps away, at 1127 Ave. du Mont-Royal Est, is a branch of the famous St. Viateur Bagel & Café. Here, you can try an authentic Montreal bagel and see for yourself what all the hype is about.

Remember, Montreal has tons of places to explore beyond the downtown campus area, and most are easily accessible by metro. Check it out for yourself, and happy adventuring!

Images obtained from:
After spending a wonderful fall 2015 term in Paris, France, Regina is in her final semester at McGill University, studying Economics and French. She loves reading and writing in her spare time, travelling to foreign places, and baking anything she has the ingredients for. She also occasionally plays the oboe. Some of Regina's favourites include the colour blue, the season of fall, and the movie You've Got Mail. You can follow her on Instagram under the handle @reginawung.