Montréal Comfort Food: Six Restaurants That Will Satisfy Your Cravings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

With the looming of midterms and the temperatures dropping, sometimes you just need a little comfort food and a break from cooking. Whether you want something warm and filling or sweet and decadent, these six restaurants will lift your spirits with some delicious eats. As a bonus, some of them are only blocks from McGill, which means that you don’t need to wander too far to get an excellent meal (and then get back to studying). 

If you’re craving…

Something vegetarian: Lola Rosa

Lola Rosa is known amongst McGill students for their huge pile of nachos, but they also have some excellent heartier options for when chips and cheese just won’t cut it. Their Milton location offers a spicy veggie chili and a wonderfully seasoned Tunisian stew, two warming and filling options. Since everything is vegetarian, you can be sure that everything you eat will be (somewhat) healthy, but definitely delicious. If you’re still craving something sweet afterwards, their brownie is a definite must.

If you’re craving…

Carbs, meat, and cheese: Mâche!

Located on St. Denis, Mâche! is known for their pâtés chinois, the Quebecois version of Shepard’s pie. That being said, my favourite item on the menu is their “le Macaroni Cochon”, a mac & cheese made with six different kinds of cheese and three different meats. Mac & cheese is my go-to comfort food, and this definitely hits the spot (and is a step-up from Kraft Dinner). Their pâtés chinois’ are also excellent, my personal favourite being “le ‘New’ Style”, featuring pulled pork and mashed sweet potatoes.

If you’re craving…

Indian: Namasté Montréal 

Namasté is another go-to for McGill students due to its close proximity to campus. They may not have a ton of items on the menu, but their butter chicken meal, complete with naan or a samosa, rice, and a tomato-cucumber salad, is both inexpensive and delicious. I wish I could say that I have tried more than just the butter chicken, but that just shows that it is worth ordering again and again. They also have vegetarian options if you don’t eat or want chicken. 

If you’re craving…

Chocolate: Juliette Et Chocolat

Sometimes you just need a little chocolate as a pick-me-up (or a lot, no judgment here). Juliette Et Chocolat’s menu is filled with decadent chocolate desserts ranging from rich, fudgy brownies to sweet crepes topped with ice cream. If you want to indulge in a slightly healthy way, you can order a fruit fondue with dark chocolate to dip. No matter what you order, you can’t go wrong when everything includes chocolate!

If you’re craving…

Brunch: Resto L’Avenue Mont-Royal 

L’Avenue is arguably the best place for brunch in Montréal. They have creative renditions of the classic eggs benedict, and some of the best breakfast potatoes ever. If you’re like me and can never decide between eggs or pancakes, their “L’indécis” comes with eggs, two choices of meat, and a serving of pancakes or French toast, perfect for those who love both sweet and savoury. My favourite sweet selection is the carrot cake pancakes, which taste exactly like carrot cake, but for breakfast! The one downside is that there is usually a long wait, especially on the weekends, but that is just a testament to how good it truly is.

If you’re craving…

Poutine: Patati Patata

Although poutine is typically thought of as “drunk food”, it does an equally good job at being comfort food. Fries, warm gravy and cheese curds – it doesn’t get better than that. One of my good friends swears by the poutine at Patati Patata, and it can often be a better option than La Banquise because it means you get to skip the huge line of tourists. Their classic poutine is large enough to share with a friend, but can also be a filling meal for one. If poutine alone just isn’t enough, you can either top it with a meat of choice or order one of their adorable and tasty mini burgers

Images obtained from: 

Cover image: http://lapoutineweek.com/en

Lola Rosa: https://mtlfoodsnob.wordpress.com/2013/11/17/montreal-lola-rosa-milton-veggie-wonderland/

Mâche!: http://www.lecoindejoelle.com/2016/10/food-drink-montreal/

Namasté Montréal, Juliette Et Chocolat, and Resto L’Avenue Mont-Royal: Prairie Broughton 

Patati Patata: http://tastet.ca/2017/03/01/patati-patata-friterie-boul-st-laurent/

4th year student at McGill who loves food, dogs and lipstick