Wellness > Sex + Relationships

McGill Students Answer: What is Your Ideal Relationship?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Ahh… at last, it’s here. The trees turn bare, the crunchy leaves turn to soft snow, and the gentle breeze turns into fierce and aggressive wind, and that signals us that cuddling season has approached us. For some of us, when we hear “cuddling season”, our insides tingle with warmth and fuzziness as we think of that special someone to cuddle with. But for many others, cuddling season means sitting alone on the couch wrapped up in a blanket, with a chocolate bar in one hand, and a bowl of popcorn in the other. It can be hard to find that special someone to cuddle with this season, but it seems especially difficult, or even impossible to find that someone in university. Is it because us university kids just simply don’t have the time? Or is it because all of us have different expectations of what a relationship should be like? To try to gain some perspective, Her Campus asked five different students at McGill the same question: what is your ideal relationship right now, as a student?

*Michael, U3 student

I want someone who can share my adventurous side. As a student, it’s so easy to get stuck in the same routine- go to class, study, hang out with friends, go out, and repeat. I want someone who wants to explore beyond just McGill. I think in my first two years here, I was stuck in this rut and nothing felt exciting or fun anymore. Everyday it was just the same thing. All the same parties, the same classes, the same events, it just bored me. I’ve started to explore Montreal more, and I want someone I can explore with.

*Alison, U1 student

To be honest, my ideal relationship right now would be no relationship. I think especially being at McGill it’s just not that realistic to find someone who matches all your interests, and someone you want to hang out with all the time. I think McGill has a very strong work hard, play hard motto and it can be really hard to squeeze in time for someone to spend time with in between. There’s Tinder and Bumble, but from mine and my friends’ experiences, you never find anyone that you would seriously consider dating. And I don’t think a lot of us go on Tinder with that mindset either. The “hookup culture” is definitely real right now, and in university, a lot of us just want to have fun and not be attached to someone.

*Jake, U2 student

My ideal relationship would be with someone who understands me. Someone who you don’t always have to explain yourself to, and will understand when you have to take time to yourself or will know exactly what to say when you’re upset. As a student, I don’t have a lot of free time, so making the most out of it is very important. It’s also important to be with someone who I can be completely myself with, and that includes understanding my culture and background as well. I don’t think it’s worth it to invest your time and energy to constantly try to seek out someone to be in a relationship with. From my experience, it comes naturally as you start to get to know the other person better.

*Rachel, U0 student

As a student, my priority is school, extracurricular activities, and meeting new people and friends. I’m not actively looking to start dating, but I think it would be nice to have a boyfriend. My ideal relationship right now would be with someone who can be my best friend at all times. I’m still young, and the thought of finding someone to settle down with is both scary and unrealistic. I would like someone that I can study with, go out with, explore Montreal with, and so on. I want someone who I can share a lot of my interests with and just be able to hang out without the pressure of thinking, “is he the one?”.

*Amanda, U2 student

I don’t really have an “ideal” relationship. I’m not looking for someone specific to meet certain needs or requirements to be in a relationship, so I’ve never really thought about who my ideal type boyfriend or what my ideal relationship would be. Whatever happens, happens, and if we get along well then great! But to answer your question, I don’t have a specific “ideal” type.

* Names have been changed to keep anonymity.

Many students interviewed gave various answers- everyone had different ideas on what their ideal relationship would be, and one didn’t even want to be in one! These answers showed that you should not settle for someone you don’t click with, just for the sake of being in a relationship. Everyone wants something different in a relationship, and dating has a different meaning for everyone. I know it can get lonely- when you’re at McLennan by yourself on a Friday night, it would be nice to have a significant other cuddling with you or sending you good luck texts. But, whatever your ideal relationship is, we have our whole lives to find someone that we all deserve. So, during this cuddling season, hang in there! Strive for that 4.0, live your best life, and eventually, that special someone will come along. 

Images Obtained From:

https://www.zoosk.com/date-mix/relationship-advice/relationship-problems…

https://believe.christianmingle.com/revel-in-the-single-life/

Sooji Hah

McGill '20

Sooji is currently a third-year student at McGill University majoring in Labour Relations with a minor in Management. Her life goal is to one day publish a book and see Frank Ocean live.