McGill Exclusive: UNSG Ban Ki-Moon’s Special Address

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

February 12. It might have been another ordinary Friday to everyone else, but not to students at McGill. We were preparing to meet a very distinguished individual, and when I say distinguished, I mean United-Nations-Secretary-General-distinguished. As you’ve probably guessed by now, we were preparing to see the current United Nations Secretary General (UNSG), Ban Ki-Moon.

However, before the special address, there was the anticipation. Believe me when I say that the line in front of Leacock 132 – yes, you can now visit a room graced by the presence of the Ban Ki-Moon – was comparable to the line for 4Floors in 2014.

To the right, Divest McGill supporters had lined up along the large glass windows of the Leacock hallway just by the entrance of Leacock 132 holding “Divest” posters in a sort of silent advocacy. Overhead, the fire alarm went off minutes before the doors were supposed to open, adding a shrill beeping to the loud chatter that filled the hallway. You’d expect chaos, but no one moved a muscle. Not even a possible fire could get people to leave their spots in line.

After a bag and ticket inspection, we were finally able to enter Leacock 132 and find our seats. The arrival of the UNSG was greeted with enthusiastic applauding and loud cheers from excited audience members. Ban Ki-Moon came in beaming and waving to the audience in a way that exuded friendliness and a desire to inspire us.

The special address was opened by Suzanne Fortier, the Principal of McGill University, who also welcomed other esteemed guests such as Yoo Soon-Taek, Ban Ki-Moon’s wife, and Denis Coderre, the Mayor of Montreal, and spoke of UNSG Ban Ki-Moon’s numerous achievements such as the creation of UN Women and the agreement reached at the 2015 UN Climate Change Conference.

UNSG Ban Ki-Moon tailored his speech to McGill and Montreal, making references to the Montreal Canadiens and our favourite PM, Justin Trudeau. He also called it a privilege and an honor to share his views and listen to ours, solidifying his kind, humble and all around best-person-ever aura.

In his special address, UNSG Ban Ki-Moon stressed the importance of sustainable development, compassion, and the power of young people like us to change the world. He said we can boldly go where no one had gone before and in an optimistic, yet realistic way that only he can quite pull off, he reminded us that there is nothing that can deter our futures.  

In reference to this, he passed on advice that his class had received in the 7th grade: keep your heads above the clouds, but keep your feet firmly on the ground and move step by step. He explained that this basically means that you must find a balance between being optimistic and realistic, as optimists expect too much and realists expect too little.

He encouraged us to work together to make this world a better place where no one is left behind because we are a part of this world; we are global citizens.

In the – once again – paraphrased words of UNSG Ban Ki-Moon, “You have immense potential, so it’s up to you how you want to contribute to this world. Do whatever you want to do, but remember that you are a global citizen.”

With that piece of advice, I hopefully leave you all as UNSG Ban Ki-Moon left me: inspired, in awe (OK, maybe not), and ready to take on everything that comes your way.

If you want to see the full Special Address, click here.

Images Obtained from:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbChB39W4AIe-Ky.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CbCh-qjWIAIHdrD.jpg

Fanta is a third year Economics student at McGill, who minors in German Literature and Political Science. She loves all things to do with writing, fashion, Queen Bey and Quesada. Note: On Wednesdays, she wears pink.  
Aspiring writer