Wellness > Health

How to Stay Safe from Coronavirus and the Flu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Disclaimer: This post is not meant to be taken as medical advice. Please contact healthcare professionals if you are experiencing symptoms.

With social media and news constantly updating us on the latest COVID-19 cases, people should be reinforcing common sanitary practices to prevent spread of germs and viruses. Not only is there a pandemic, it is also flu season. So, it is important (it is always important, but especially now) to do what you can to stay healthy and keep others healthy. Below are some general guidelines to follow in the upcoming months.

1. Wash your hands (properly!)

We all know how to wash out hands, but few of us do it properly each time. The CDC states that we should be washing our hands for at least 20 seconds with soap and water (about the length of singing “Happy Birthday” twice). 

2. Use hand sanitizer.

If you don’t have access to a sink, the next best choice is to use hand sanitizer. Hand sanitizer has been becoming increasingly available on campus so you’ll likely walk past a bunch of stations during your day. Make sure you use some if you’re going to eat or touch your face. 

3. Avoid coughing or sneezing into your hands or surfaces.

Like they taught you in preschool, sneeze into your elbow (or if you have one, a tissue). Make sure you wash your hands or use hand sanitizer afterwards. This avoids the spreading of your germs to other people. 

4. Be cautious of public surfaces.

This includes desks, tables, handles on the STM, etc. You never know how clean these surfaces are. Hundreds of people could be spreading their germs over them each day so try to touch them as little as possible. And don’t forget to wash your hands once you get home. It’s also important to not touch your face after touching these surfaces.

5. Isolate yourself if you have flu-like symptoms

Sweatpants Against A Wall
Arianna Tucker / Her Campus

Both the flu and coronavirus have fever, dry cough, fatigue, and many other common symptoms. Both are also very contagious. If you have any of these symptoms, stay at home as much as possible. Also, call 811 instead of going to a clinic or hospital to prevent further spreading. Please try your best to avoid going to lectures and having close contact with others.

These safety standards should always be followed, but they are especially important now. Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Melody Zhou

McGill '22

Melody Zhou is a U2 student from Boston, Massachusetts. She is studying cognitive science at McGill University with a focus in computer science and neuroscience. She is passionate about medicine and hopes to attend medical school to eventually pursue a career in pediatrics. In her free time, she enjoys playing volleyball and spending time with her dog.