A First Year’s Guide to Finding a Montreal Apartment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Living in Rez has been both wonderful and horrible – see my last article for a detailed breakdown of the pros and cons I have found living in Molson Hall. However, it is the time for first years and upperclassmen alike to figure out living situations for next year. Finding an apartment is both an exciting and daunting task, but should most definitely be more fun than stressful. I for one cannot wait to decorate a living room and to have an actual kitchen to cook for myself. Here is a guide for first years seeking out their (most likely) first university apartment. 

1. Figure Out Who You Want to Live With

This is one of the most difficult tasks of finding an apartment for next year. It’s impossible to start looking at apartments until you have a fixed number of bedrooms that you’re looking for. When choosing your roommates you need to be realistic. You want people that get along because roommate drama is definitely not what you want to be stuck with for a year or more. Think about what your friends are into doing on weekends and weeknights and whether your habits are compatible. Living in an apartment together is different than living in Rez. You’ll have to share a kitchen and most likely a bathroom, and it’s important to consider what situations you and your roommates may get in. 

2. To Ghetto or Not to Ghetto

This step specifically concerns McGill students. The ghetto is the neighborhood closest to McGill, otherwise known as Milton Parc. Its location makes it extremely popular for McGillians, as those that live there have the advantage of not only being able to sleep in for classes but also avoid the cold as much as possible since they live so close to class. The downside of living in the ghetto is that rent is more expensive and, from what I have seen, the apartments are not as nice as others in different neighborhoods. Essentially, roommates must decide what neighborhoods they’re willing to live in and/or able to pay for; which brings us to the importance of determining budgets. 

3. Budgets

It is highly likely that at least one roommate in a group has some sort of budget that they truly cannot go over. Of course there are some people who can pay anything, and that’s great for them. For everyone else, however, talking budgets can be uncomfortable but is one of the most important and helpful things for finding an apartment. Talking about budget restraints is definitely something that has to happen early in the apartment hunting process. Creating a budget will also help eliminate certain apartments off the bat and probably help determine what neighborhoods are your best bet. 

4. Uncompromisable Things

Some people know themselves well enough to realize that sharing one bathroom might not work, or that living in the Mile End is too far away for them. It’s important that roommates talk openly about things that they need in an apartment, or refuse to accept in others. It might be a good idea for each person to share the single most important, reasonable asset they are looking for in an apartment or refuse to compromise on. That way, the group knows what to look for. 

5. Go Apartment Hunting

Craigslist, Padmapper, and the McGill Off Campus Listings site are all good tools to use when looking for an apartment in Montreal. I think it’s worth visiting multiple apartments before making a decision, but each group needs to be reasonable and sometimes acting fast is worth it. Before looking at apartments, it’s a good idea to look up important questions to ask about a possible living space. Every list I looked at contained new questions I wouldn’t have thought to ask. This site is a good resource for that. 

Finding an apartment with friends and moving out of residence into a place of your own should be enjoyable and fun. Live with people that make it that way. Now is the time to begin planning for living arrangements for next fall. Although there’s no need to rush into anything, the satisfaction of signing your first lease is unique and extremely relieving.

Images obtained from: 

http://www.livingin-canada.com/living-in-montreal.html

http://unofficialmcgillguide.com/apartment-hunting/

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.