Perks and Drawbacks of Living in Rez

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Going to university for the first time is intimidating for lots of reasons, but I think for most the whole making friends process is the scariest prospect. When I first moved into Molson Hall in Upper Rez, I was really nervous. I remember being conscious about keeping my door open and smiling at new people. Despite being intimidating on the first day, living in rez is definitely one of the best ways to meet new people and make friends. There are many other pros about living in first year residence as well, however there are some cons that make the prospect of living in an apartment next year very appealing. 

Molson Hall in all its beauty

The Best Things About Living In Rez:

1. Friendships

It may be a cliché, but it’s definitely true. Living in rez is like having a year long sleepover with your friends. There’s nothing like having all of your friends living literally feet from you. Making plans is easy and hanging out happens naturally. Residences are definitely conducive for making and, more importantly, keeping friendships.

2. The Experience

When I first decided to come to McGill, I was worried about whether going to a Canadian school would have me missing out on the ‘American’ College experience. I didn’t have to worry too much. While my nights out may not consist of frat parties or keggers every weekend (Montreal’s nightlife is so much better), I think that Molson provides the same sort of dorm style that I would have encountered in America. The perks of being at McGill, however, include the drinking age of 18 and lax rules. My floor fellow, Nate, isn’t anything like a typical RA. He’s here to make sure we’re safe and healthy, not to get us into trouble. The McGill rez experience, and Molson especially, is extremely fun.

With all the benefits it provides, there are some unfortunate things about living in rez:

1. Temptations and Noise

Whether it be a Korova Monday or a Tokyo Thursday, people are always getting ready to go out in Molson, and mostly every residence. It can be hard to resist the temptation of going out when you hear everyone making plans outside your door and think about how nice it would feel to stop reading your macroeconomics textbook and throw a couple shots back. Even if you resist the option of going out, it can also be extremely difficult to ignore all the noise, put your head down, and get work done. It’s never truly quiet in Molson, and it’s something that annoys me on the weekdays and excites me on the weekends. 

2. Cost

Living in residence is ridiculously expensive. Each month’s rent is around $1,200 for a tiny, tiny room and sub-par, co-ed bathrooms in Molson. Did I mention that Molson is among the cheapest options at McGill? I know for a fact that I will not ever pay that much once I move off campus. Although it’s worth paying the high price for the perks of meeting friends and getting the university experience, I am looking forward to living in a less pricey apartment next year.

3. Rez Flu

As I write this post, I feel more ill than I can ever remember feeling before. Rez flu is a very real, very horrible thing. I’m not even sure if it’s the flu or not, but I am sure that most of Molson is sick right now, and that it spread fast. It’s the major drawback of having so many people living in tight quarters.

Despite all the germs, noise, and temptation that come with living in rez, there is really no better way to spend your first year at McGill, or at university in general. All of my best friends live in Molson, and I met most within my first couple of weeks here. In all, I would 100 percent recommend living in residence, and also getting a flu shot.

Images obtained from:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/home-and-garden/real-estate/universi…

http://cac.mcgill.ca/campus/buildings/Upper_Residences.html

Kelly is currently a Second Year with Advanced Standing at McGill University studying History, Business Management, and Psychology. She loves everything food related, and has her own food blog in the works.