This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

Can you believe it’s October already? This means two things: midterms (how is it midterm season already?) and pumpkin spice lattes. If the latter is not a favourite of yours, (I personally feel like they’re overhyped, but to each their own), I suggest you pick hot chocolate or a classic caramel macchiato for your coffee fix in between study sessions. Fall is honestly the best season – everything is changing colours, there is hope in the air and people are taking in as much of the good weather as they can before winter starts. Our campus is just downright beautiful. There are students everywhere having a good time despite the impending doom of midterms. Fall is also the season of rain here in Montreal, and this means soon everyone will be wearing rain boots and have their cutest umbrellas on show. I love rain, it puts me in such a good mood! Whenever it rains all I want to do is snuggle inside my insanely comfy duvet and watch a few of my favourite movies.

So grab your favourite snack and a comfy blanket, forget about midterm stress and watch these 5 feel-good movies!

P.S. If it’s not raining you can still listen to rain sounds and pretend.

1. Serendipity

Classic rom com where girl meets boy and destiny plays its part in bringing them together. It stars John Cusack (love him) and Kate Beckinsale. Two strangers (Jonathan and Sara) meet on Christmas Eve and their worlds are changed forever. Sara is a firm believer in destiny and after a few bad signs decides that maybe now is not the right time for them to be together, so she leaves their next interaction up to fate. This movie is a simple, feel-good rom com with the underlying message that whatever is meant to be will always come into your life sooner or later. Plus, you get to see a young John Cusack, who is the absolute cutest!

2. Notting Hill

Starring Julia Roberts and Hugh Grant, this British rom com will help you realize two things – 1) Julia Roberts is one of the most beautiful actresses and 2) British rom coms can never let you down. Two people (Will and Anna) from completely different walks of life meet randomly and their paths intertwine. Anna is a famous actress and Will is just a simple travel book shop owner. They have an instant connection, but Anna’s fame comes in the way. This movie is a classic, you can’t go wrong. It has Hugh Grant at his peak – he is witty, charming and the ideal guy next door. This movie is perfect for a night in with your significant other or the perfect love story to watch with your girlfriends.

3. About Time

Family, love and a little bit of time travel. This movie revolves around Tim (Domhnall Gleeson) who is finally let in on a family secret of time travel. He uses it to change the past in order to change the future. This comes with its share of consequences which end up shaping who he is as a person. Full of love, heartache and phenomenal characters, About Time will leave you wanting more. It will teach you the importance of being in the now and how it’s not always about wishing something else had happened, it’s about appreciating what did and moving forward.

4. Bridget Jones’s Diary

For me, personally, this trilogy is perfect (the second one was a letdown, but it was perfect overall). The first one, however, is the best hands down. It has a young Colin Firth, who is the perfect gentleman in every way; Hugh Grant, who brings his Casanova character to life; and Renée Zellweger as the lovable female lead who encompasses Bridget. Bridget Jones’s Diary is the classic movie for young girls as she goes through the same problems that we do now; she is not the perfect weight, her love life is nonexistent (more frogs than planned) and she is nowhere close to her dream career. Through her ups and downs, we see that despite all odds, things can happen and the perfect guy might just be the one that is imperfect. The latest installment: Bridget Jones’s Baby is a must watch as well. It reminded me of the original and I could not stop laughing. Maybe I am biased, but if you haven’t seen Bridget Jones’s Diary, you need to drop everything and watch it now.

5. 27 Dresses

‘Always a bridesmaid, never a bride.’ Katherine Heigl’s character (Jane) is the ultimate bridesmaid. All of her friends want her to be in their special day and she has a hard time saying no, which often gets her into difficult situations (like two weddings in one night). The story starts when Jane’s younger sister comes into town and falls in love with her boss George – someone Jane has been pining over since forever. Jane tries to be happy with the situation and for her little sister, but her feelings are still very evident. Throw James Marsden (Kevin Doyle) into the mix, whom Jane meets one night and she forgets her planner wit him. This planner, full of all of her bridesmaid duties, gives Kevin the perfect idea for an article. Katherine Heigl and James Marsden are perfect in their respective roles and he is the push Jane needs to go after what she wants. However, things don’t turn out exactly the way you’d think. This is the best movie to watch if you feel like you are in a rut and need to start doing things for yourself. Plus James Marsden is very easy on the eyes.

Any one of these movies would be perfect for a cozy night in. So light up your favourite fall candle and forget about your responsibilities for an hour or two.

Image obtained from : 

https://wallpaperscraft.com/tag/umbrella