This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at McGill chapter.

You’re as cuddly as a cactus, you’re as charming as an eel – and nope, I’m not talking about the Grinch. I so wish I were though, because we all know he is a sweetie deep down (spoiler alert). I’m talking about whatever very terrible person invented the fight to the death – I mean, finals! The time of year when you spend an exorbitant amount of your days sitting in one solitary chair, blasting holiday music through your earphones and stretching out your cramping writing hand. If you’re like me, you need to workout to feel sane. The stress of final exams mounts at 10 times the speed if my muscles don’t feel loose and stretched out, and that post-workout high reminds me that everything will, in fact, be alright. What do you do if you just simply don’t have the time to get all the way to the gym? 

Here are ten simple ways that you can find your excercise calm without heading all the way to the gym: 

1. Take the stairs! With all of those books on your back, there is no doubt you will be slightly out of breath once you hit the top floor of McLennan. Don’t fret: it’s just like using the stair climber at the gym! Stairs are a great way to workout those hamstrings, and your calves will also feel the burn. You might break a bit of a sweat, so I would suggest keeping makeup remover toilettes and a foundation compact in your bag at all times. It’s the best of both worlds!

2. Walk, instead of taking the bus or the metro. This is usually a toughie because by now, the weather is often so awful no one wants to spend more than 30 seconds moving from bus to building door. You’re in luck! This mild, rainy weather doesn’t look like it’s in any rush to leave – use it to your advantage. Walking can make a huge difference in your calorie burn for the day, and the fresh air will give you a great opportunity to clear your head. 

3. Early morning or nighttime yoga. There are tons of applications you can put on your phone, and there are also a lot of YouTube videos of yoga flows you can follow. Light a candle, lay out your mat, and BREATHE. Not only will yoga get your blood flowing to your brain and back, but your muscles will feel stretched out and ready to take on the day (or the all-nighter). You don’t even have to take off your PJs for this one! 

4. Head out for a jog. The weather is bearable, you guys. You can get a full-body workout, lose your breath and sweat out all your stress in a straightforward 20 minute run. My house is in the ghetto, and I prefer to run up to the Plateau and back, usually through Parc. The plus side to this potentially rainy and cold way to grab your workout is the view: the city skyline is always bright and sparkly.

5. Stretch it out. Sometimes you simply need to get up and move. When I study at home, I tend to sit still in the same place for hours at a time. This is terrible for my muscles, my joints and my brain. Get that blood flowing again by engaging in an active stretch for 15 to 20 minutes. Make yourself a snack and head back to your seat feeling refreshed.

6. Dance it out. Other times, stretching just isn’t enough. You need to distract your mind and your body from your stress for a little bit, so why not do so with some super loud music? Throw on your current favorite jam and jump around a bit. It sounds crazy but usually, all you need is to feel out of breath to feel normal. 

7. Do some holiday shopping. I truthfully cannot think of a better way to get your muscles moving. You will finish your gift list and maybe even grab a little something for yourself. You deserve a break! My favourite time to treat myself with this is immediately after a final. I mean I walk from the main gym all the way down the hill to Ste. Catherine’s. No looking back!

8. Learn how to stretch at your desk. This is especially helpful for all those late-night cramming sessions at the library. You have to stay silent and discreet, but you also really need a break. Take out your study tunes and embrace the silence. Clutch and release your muscles to get your blood to your brain again.

9. Take a trip up the mountain. I know this sounds ridiculous in December, but we have to capitalize on this weird weather! Even if you walk instead of jog, this will be a nice long opportunity for you to clear your head. Take a quick breather at the top, remind yourself that there is a world outside of the McGill campus, then head back down and get to it! 

10. Jump up and down with relief and excitement once you finish your finals and get to go home! This one is pretty straightforward, and I promise you, it is coming!! 

Images obtained from: 

http://weheartit.com/entry/170997661

http://weheartit.com/entry/169384031

Aspiring writer