This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

I’ve been told countless times that normal is very subjective and in truth doesn’t really exist. I’ve also been told that the hardest battle that you will ever fight is the one between your ears.

Dealing with any type of mental illness can be debilitating. It’s a painful, exhausting, and a draining process of trying to figure out what path of treatment will give you the best results. It’s a matter of trial and error, which is frustrating as hell.

As a college student, it’s hard to watch my friends and peers be able to handle their work load, social lives, and their personal issues (because everyone has them) with much greater ease than I can. The constant breakdowns, the work that I have to put in to get up in the mornings to motivate myself, to stay focused, and to stay present is made exponentially harder when I watch others my age not struggling… or at least not showing it.

But the truth is, mental illness is way more prevalent than it is let on to be. There is still a hard stigma attached to it, and not too many people know how to talk about it. They’re scared of being seen as “crazy” or too much to deal with. You have to find those people that are brave enough to talk about it, brave like you are.

I’m here to tell you that you are not alone. Whether people around you are talking about it or not, people are fighting their own battles in their heads. You’re never, ever alone.

Being on campus is a hard place to be when you’re dealing with a depression spell, an obsessive tailspin, or a manic moment. Allow yourself to stay in bed for some time if you need to, allow yourself to cry, and try to find a spot that you can let it all flow out in a safe, private, and healthy way. You gotta take care of you.

The counseling center on campus can be a huge advocate in your journey if you’re willing to get some help. If nothing else, it’s a great jump off point to find other resources in your area. Help is out there, and it’s someone’s job to take your hand and help you find it. The professionals that you meet along the way may not always be the best fit, and that’s okay. Keep searching until you meet people who have all of your best intentions at the front line.

Record your journey so you can look back at your set- backs and progresses and appreciate them all. Celebrate your strength. Connect with people that are working hard just like you. Don’t give up on the fight that’s going on in your head. It’s real and it’s happening. You may not win every battle, but that’s okay because no one ever does. Those losses make the wins a whole lot sweeter.

The devil is a damned liar, but you’re a lot stronger than he ever expected you to be. Remember that.