you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Sell Yourself In An Interview

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

After searching online databases and going to stuffy networking events, you managed to land an interview. Good for you. If you’re someone who often gets the interview but rarely the job, maybe you should rethink how you’re presenting yourself. Of course interviews are much different depending on the field. For instance, questions for IT interviews are more technical than about past work experience. Compare that to, say, teaching, where the interviewer’s job is probably to ensure that you would be safe around children. I’ve had a variety of interviews for a wide range of jobs – from IT support to teaching – and found an approach that works well regardless of the actual interview: sell yourself. An interview is essentially a sales pitch, except in this instance you’re the product. This is how you do it.

Know your audience. As I said before, interviews vary. Thus, it makes sense that the interviewer(s) also vary. Start by asking the person who contacted you some questions. Ask him or her how many people will be interviewing you and their titles. If they all sound like executive positions, you can bet that they’ll be over the age of 40. If they have the word assistant or junior in their names then they will most likely be closer to your age. Once you learn their titles, find the appropriate degree of proprietary and levity. Senior staff has worked long and hard to get where they are, so do not make light of the situation, and don’t even think about being cheeky, ya hear? If they’re junior staff, then wait until you meet them to determine how humorous you can be. Use your discretion but remember that anyone who interviews you deserves respect and professionalism.

Know your product. If an interview is a sales pitch, then you’re the product, so that’s easy enough, right? Not quite. You have to not only know about yourself – and that’s more than just the information under the “About” section on Facebook – you have to understand what you bring to the table. If you’re applying to count toothpicks think about how detail-oriented and patient you are. If you’re trying to become a roadie, mention how well you work in fast-paced environments. Find out what that business does best, and figure out how your skills (quantitative), abilities (qualitative) and potential for growth will rock their world. (PS: if you are in fact interviewing to become a roadie, feel free to use that.)

Love your product. Would you buy something if the person selling it to you didn’t care about it? What if they even hated it? Probably not. Even if it were something you needed and wanted, you would feel a little put off by their general lack of interest in their product. The same goes for interviews. If you don’t believe in yourself, no one else willingly believes in you. Plus, in order to love yourself you must have a considerable level of self-confidence, which goes a long way in an interview.  Similar to how you have to love yourself before you can love someone else, you also have to love yourself before you can love what you do. And, as they say, if you love what you do, then you’ll never work a day in your life. How does that sound?

I hope these tips help you land the job of your dreams (or at least the job that pays the rent). If they work for you, share them with someone else and get working. And, while you’re at it, check out these other great articles on how to turn an interview into a job.

Acing the interview

Dressing for the interview

Alice is a senior studying information technology at Marymount University in Arlington, VA. She spends her free time live tweeting her myriad uncomfortable encounters, making untimely puns, and thinking that her taste in music is better than yours. She is currently an indentured servant at a local non-profit, also known as an unpaid intern. Summer is her least favorite season and she is not sorry 'bout it.