samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Dress Like a Boss for Your Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

A style-conscious woman will want to look her best in the workplace. As budding young professionals, collegiettes are still getting established. They need to dress appropriately, but still look stylish in order to make a statement. An outfit can show a lot about a person, so it’s important to put effort into your appearance and dress well. You can dress totally fab in the workplace and still follow the dress code.

Here’s a five tip guide on how to dress your best for your internship or first job.

Tip 1: Dressing for the interview

The first step is to nail your interview. Carin Usrey, a counselor in the Marymount University Career Center, recommends dressing “business professional” for an interview. This means wearing either a matching suit jacket and pants, a matching suit jacket and skirt, or even a matching suit jacket and dress. She advises collegiettes, “Even though you might be more well-dressed than the average employee the day of your interview, dressing business professional for the interview shows that you take yourself seriously and makes a strong first impression. Once you land the internship, you should make sure to ask your supervisor for a clear description of the office dress code and then closely abide by it.” So, dress to impress for your interview. Don’t worry about what your competition is wearing, either!

Tip 2: First day on the job

You’ve already made a good first impression. Now, you have to follow-up with it. Consider whether or not your clothing will raise eyebrows. Even if you have nice legs, be conservative.  Skirts hemmed more than two inches above the knee might be considered scandalous by some important people. Save that skirt for the club!  The rule of thumb is if you have any doubts about whether your clothing is too risqué’ or eccentric for the workplace, err on the side of keeping it in the closet.  Avoid wearing any article of clothing that fits too tightly. It’s still possible to exude sex appeal while remaining professional. Try a dress like this one from Ann Taylor. The model is showing us a classic Audrey Hepburn-esque look. Her outfit is fitted, but it isn’t revealing.

Price: $159

Tip 3: Be Y-O-U. Be classy.

Even if you follow Tips 1 and 2, there is still room for personal style of dress within the workplace.  Heels are optional, but they are a nice touch to accentuate your assets. Just make sure you feel comfortable with the outfit you decide on. Layal Abuhamdeh, a junior communications major at Marymount University, completed a journalism internship over this past summer. She says, “You can never go wrong with business casual.” Business casual is generally one of the best styles to make your own. Layal stays true to her style and accentuates her look with this Marc Jacobs bag and a white blazer.

Tip 4: Dress appropriately for the weather.

If your internship is in fall or winter, tights or stockings are a good choice. Or, select a pant-suit kind of style. Dress pants, as an individual article of clothing, can easily be complimented with a sweater or blazer. You can even have some fun with this by choosing a color or print that you enjoy. In some offices, a sundress style may be acceptable in the summer. I recommend a belted dress like this one from Francesca’s Collections for the warmer months of spring and summer.

Price: $44

Tip 5: Accessorize

Statement necklaces and bracelets are great for the office, especially as a subtle “pop” of style, but, remember, the way to dress for the workplace is not the same as storming the scene of the city on the weekend.  Too much jewelry isn’t advisable. The same goes for makeup. For example, if you do a smokey eye, the colors you use shouldn’t be too dark. Also, use matte makeup, without excessive amounts of glitter. Co-workers can find it distracting when your outfit, or even face, is too busy. Just as your outfit, if you have doubts about whether an accessory is appropriate, err on the side of conservative, at least during the beginning of your internship experience. You want to be known for your performance, not your clothing. Keep your choices for accessorizing simple. A statement necklace like this one from Nordstrom’s is minimalistic, but chic. Your neck will be adorned with loveliness.

Price: $24

There you go. Ba-da-bing. Ladies, it’s definitely possible to dress for work without being boring or drab. You can still be a hottie in the office while following dress-code guidelines – and not just a hottie, but an intelligent woman and future CEO. (i.e. like a BOSS) Stay classy ladies, and good luck scoring your first job!