This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

There’s nothing else like it. That rush you feel when you get the last 8 ½ pair of OTK boots.  That burst of excitement when all of the Fashion Week photos start filling your newsfeed. The utter happiness of finally finding the perfect first date outfit after hours of agony. Fashion has so many different aspects and so many different emotions that go along with it but when it comes down to it, it is something that gives me such joy.

I’m obviously not the only one. Fashion is an art that is loved by millions. So why is it that for lovers of fashion such as myself, we are often times shamed (I hate using that word, but it’s true) by those who could care less about it?

On a random Thursday last year, I decided to wear my newest pair of lace up heels to class, a pair a leather leggings, and my pea coat draped over my shoulders a la Kim K. Looking back, did I appear a little over dressed to sit at a desk and take notes? Perhaps, but I felt confident regardless. However, that confidence didn’t last too long after I stepped out of my room. The stares I got were as cold as ice. People were looking at me with disgust and judgment. I had friends ask me, “You look crazy, why are you dressed like that?” The self-assurance that I had felt prior was gone at that point. I felt ridiculous, embarrassed, and like the biggest freak in the world.

When someone has clearly taken a substantial amount of time into their appearance, the last thing they want is to be looked down upon and spoken to like they’re doing something wrong. Some could say that I should have had more confidence in myself and not cared what people said or how people looked at me that day, but as most people know, that is easier said than done.

You’re not just going to wake up one morning and be completely 100% confident in yourself. It is a process that takes years of ups and downs but is ultimately something that we get from within. Although compliments and positive affirmation from others is nice to hear, is does not make us confident unless we deep down believe what they are saying ourselves. We should know that we are beautifully and wonderfully made whether we look like a total bum, or spent 2 hours perfecting our beachy waves. 

For those of you that love fashion and are too nervous to dress how you want in fear of sticking out or being judged by others, do it anyway! Know that their opinions are only that, opinions, and they will only impact you if you let them. For me, I am a lot better at taking judgment now than I ever was. If someone gives me a dirty look for wearing something that’s a little out there, I’ll simply give them a smile and go about my day. I try my hardest to not let negative vibes from others bring me down. We can all work a little harder day by day on improving our confidence in ourselves and know that we can rock whatever we choose and will look darn good doing so! For those that immediately make comments, scoff, and judge upon seeing someone who is well dressed, I encourage you to think about how your actions can potentially have a negative impact on someone’s self-esteem.

I hope that this article can inspire us all to be a little kinder to one another when it comes to our clothing choices. Next time you see someone wearing something you like, brighten their day by making it a point to tell them, “Great shoes!”, “Love your scarf!”, or whatever! We all, including myself, should try a little harder to encourage one another and build each other up. In doing so, we can spread love, self-confidence, and a whole lotta positivity!  

Abigail is an MU junior majoring in fashion merchandising. She loves being a part of Her Campus and expressing her creativity through her love of writing. Additionally, she writes monthly editorials for College Fashionista, where she is a Style Guru. When she is not writing, you can find her singing, going hardcore preparing her dream wedding on Pinterest, reading Christian romance novels, and watching the most unrealistic reality television.