clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
clay banks zUf39GDNyzU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Active Mind: Nick Bensmiller

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Name: Nick Bensmiller

Year: Senior: 

Major: Psychology, with minors in Philosophy and Gender Studies

Hometown: Wilton, New Hampshire

Hobbies: Reading and theater. I am stage managing MAG’s upcoming show! I watch movies a lot, and listen to music.

What are your groups, clubs, and organizations:

I am the research chair for Active Minds, and I am also really involved with Marymount Actors Guild. I am also one of the three student teachers in the Psychology 105 lab for my internship. 

Why did you choose MU?

It started with a college board search. I searched schools with good psych programs, and I wanted a small liberal arts schools. I found fifty, then I dwindled that down to ten, and then dwindled that down to five, and Marymount just happened to be one of them. The teachers were really friendly, and everyone was so inviting, and that’s how they got me. 

What is your favorite part of Marymount?

Oh, the faculty. Especially in the Psych department. The whole faculty in general is so willing to work with you on anything you want, and larger schools don’t give you that type of opportunity. I also just love the people here. Everyone is really supportive.

What is the typical day in the life?

I usually wake up and go to class. If its a Monday or a Thursday, I am covered in clay. Other than that its just homework and more homework. On some days I teach for my internship. Then theater things, and then bedtime. 

Where do you see yourself in five years?

Hopefully, I’ll have completed my first masters and on my way to a second. I want four. Two are related, the other two are for fun. The first will hopefully be in counseling, the second in human rights studies, and then a masters in Comparative Literature, and then Urban Development & City Planning. I feel like I could be successful at that. At least the first three. I’m open to anything really, 

What is your Most Memorable Marymount?

This is going to sound cheesy, but anything to do with MAG. Particularly this year. I was in two shows this year, and everyone in them was so supportive. 

What is your dream job and how will you get it?

I would like to be a Mental Health Counselor. And I can do that thought going to Grad school and completing 3,000 hours and take the test!

What has been your biggest challenge at MU?

Taking on too much. Marymount allows you to do so much, and you have so many ways to get involved, that getting involved way too much is definitely an easy thing to do.

What are 3 words to describe yourself:

Focused, passionate, and creative.

What is your Hogwarts House?

Ravenclaw

Spirit Animal?

Otter

Where would you most want to travel?

I went to Africa and enjoyed my time there, but The Netherlands or Switzerland.

What is your favorite quality in others?

Competence. I really appreciate when someone knows what they are doing.

Favorite color: Gray

Favorite Movie: Rent

Favorite TV show: The Walking Dead

Favorite Food: Everything, or  Greek or Indian or Mexican

Favorite Book: Frankenstein

Favorite Superhero: Green Lantern

Favorite Sport: Track

Favorite Quote:

“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it is stupid.” – Albert Einstein