9 Myths About College Every Freshmen Needs to Know About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marymount chapter.

Coming to college is a big transition. Many freshmen have misconceptions about what college is really like. What you think about college while you’re in high school may be (hate to break it to you) TOTALLY FALSE. Whether you think you know it all, are completely nervous, or both here’s 9 myths about college and the truth revealed.

1. Starting your college career equates the beginning of your adulthood.

Technically, by law, you become an adult at 18. This part is true. And naturally, entering college, you have many more responsibilities than you did before you came to college. Yet, the reality is that many college students are still very irresponsible and by no means have their lives together. There are many things that make you a real adult. For example, being financially independent is obviously of a high level of importance.  When you have your own place that you pay for yourself, pay taxes, etc., you have reached one of the most important aspects of adulthood.  If you’re not there yet, don’t worry.  Most freshmen are far away from this stage. 

2. Everyone is hooking up.

Many high schoolers assume there are lots of hookups in college and their sex lives are going to change dramatically. It might, but this is more myth than fact.  Most college students are not engaged in casual sex. There are also many college students with little dating experience under their belts. So, relax and get a grip! You shouldn’t let the stereotypes pressure you into doing anything you don’t feel comfortable doing.  Some guys will try to take advantage of girls in their freshman year because they know young collegiettes believe this myth about college is true. Above all, it shouldn’t happen if you don’t want it to happen. Chill.

3. Your friends in freshman year will be your friends in senior year too.

A lot can happen in four years of college. The friends you make in freshman year may become the best friends you’ve ever had. They may be in your wedding, and beside you in a rocking chair decades later.  But, it is also true that some people in your college life will drift away, change, or abruptly exit.  Just don’t make assumptions too quickly about how close you’ll become with someone you only met yesterday in your freshman dorm. Many freshmen trust people too soon and then realize they made a big mistake. Be careful with revealing personal information with new people. Love all, trust few, do wrong to none!

4. You will get a 4.0 GPA all throughout college.

This is unlikely at most colleges, especially those with high rankings. College is a lot harder than high school for most of us, especially once you start taking upper level courses. The straight A student in high school may not do this well in college, and that’s okay. College classes are set up differently than high school classes. It may work better for you, but chances are it will be an adjustment in the beginning. If you get a 4.0, more power to you. The key is to not create standards for yourself that are unattainable. Don’t create stressful situations by pulling all-nighters every night and turning down opportunities to hang out with people. By the time you’re 30, your GPA in college won’t matter if you are doing well at you do at your job. At this stage of life, your work performance or lack thereof will trump that A+ you got in Fundamentals of Chemistry.

5. Everyone gets wasted on the weekends.

Yes, it’s true that there are some awesome parties in college. Yes, it’s true that people like to go to bars and have a good time. Yes, it’s true that some people use fake identification cards to get into 21 and over clubs. Does everyone do this? No. Do you have to do this to be cool? No. The reality is that people drink in college. However, not everyone adheres to this lifestyle. Getting drunk every weekend is, of course, excessive and unhealthy. If you don’t feel comfortable with the drinking scene, then steer clear of it. You can find plenty of other friends with similar interests and values. 

6. You should pull all-nighters to finish your work in time.

Let’s face it. All-nighters are not healthy, especially on a consistent basis. Get some sleep! Plus, when you finish your work at the last minute, the quality is not as good. It’s much better to plan ahead and be productive. Do what you have to do, but remember it’s important to rise-and-shine with a fresh face. Beauty rest, people!  

7. You should only major in something that will get you a job.

There’s nothing wrong with choosing a stereotypically practical major. It’s a good thing, actually. You’ll have a higher chance of being employed when you graduate. So, congrats. However, you need to consider your reasoning in what you decide on. Are you genuinely interested in this field of study? Will you enjoy the classes? Follow your passions, and you will find ultimate happiness. In the long run, money doesn’t satisfy the soul.

8. You will marry your college sweetheart.

There are studies that have shown that close to 10% of people marry their college sweetheart. While there is a possibility, a college relationship resulting in a marriage is not as common as you might hope. This statistic also reveals that plenty of people don’t even have the quintessential “college relationship.” In the early-twenties, there’s a lot of serial dating, which can be quite frustrating, but you still learn from it. You also need to think about all of the personal growth that occurs over a collegiate time span. People change, so it’s important to be with someone you can grow with. Plus, life is so unpredictable! Don’t put too much pressure on finding “the one,” as you scope out the most eligible bachelors in the Marymount kingdom. But…hey, you never know!

9. College is the best time of your life.

Yes, it’s true that college is an amazing time. You learn about yourself, explore your own intellectual curiosity, meet new friends, and celebrate a new chapter of life. However, this doesn’t mean you won’t experience any hardships and personal tribulations. Especially in the beginning, college is a major adjustment. From challenging academics, to new people, and living away from home, it’s a big change. Like any phase of life, the key is to enjoy the moment and be the best you that you can be. As Shakespeare said it, “To thine own self, be true!” Focus on your own happiness, don’t compromise your standards, and the rest will follow.  

Stay classy, class of 2018!