Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Why Rejection Can Be A Blessing in Disguise

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

It’s hard to think that getting rejected can be a good thing, but I think there are some reasons why it is.

Photo by Giulia Bertelli on Unsplash

Rejection isn’t the worst thing that can happen to us. But when you’re in the moment, it can feel like your diving into an abyss of uncertainty. It’s often embarrassing to share and painful to handle. Rejection makes us feel alone, unwanted, and vulnerable. 

Photo by Naomi August on Unsplash

It’s hard to imagine that people are going through the same experiences as us in college, and it’s even harder for us to open up about those feelings because there’s some stigma about having “the feelings talk.” We are all afraid of opening up and being honest about how we feel. I know friends who keep their emotions bottled up to the point where their mental health is at risk. It’s difficult to let your guard down and show others your weaknesses, especially in college where everyone feels unstoppable and on top of the world. 

Photo by Josh Hild on Unsplash

So why is rejection a blessing in disguise? From my experience, I see it as a breaking point for your world. Whether it be good or bad, you gain an understanding of yourself and learn how to cope with the support of people around you. Keeping an open mind and being honest with yourself is liberating. There’s no point in weighing yourself down the anxiety of being uncertain if someone has feelings for you. There’s no time to waste when you’re young and trying to find yourself, and most importantly, there’s no one who can love you more than yourself.

Photo by Yuris Alhumaydy on Unsplash

Relationships don’t validate you and that if it’s meant to be it will be. I think the biggest word of advice is to be more honest and open whatever is stirring up inside our chest. I know its easier said than done, but remember, we all go through more or less the same experiences in college so there is always going to be someone out there who can relate to you and be there for you when times get tough. 

Audrey graduated from the University of Maryland College Park with a major in Broadcast Journalism and a minor in Information Sciences. She was born and raised in Jakarta, Indonesia. She loves to travel around the world and always has her camera ready to capture everything so follow her on Instagram @audreynwid. Her life motto is 'Don't be afraid to defy the auds, pun intended.' Her furry partner in crime is a Shiba Inu named Hibiki who is quite the model and loves to go hiking. Check him out on Instagram @hibibblekiki