Who represents you? Rohini Nambiar, SGA Vice President of Student Affairs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Whether it be working as the Vice-President of Student Affairs to working with UMD Mayuri, Rohini Nambiar has made a commitment to improving the community at the University of Maryland and beyond.

Nambiar, a senior studying public health sciences at UMD, has been involved with the Student Government Association in different capacities for a while. She previously served as the Director of Health and Wellness, during which time she was responsible for throwing events and discussions relating to student health. In fact, when asked about her favorite UMD-memory, Nambiar sites the first event that she threw in this position–a townhall on birth control. She organized a panel of three birth control experts to talk about all of the options that are available on the market today. This event was so successful that audience members thanked her at the end for throwing it, and it is that kind of gratification–knowing that she is helping her fellow students–that makes all of her work worth it.

Rohini found her “passion for advocacy” during her time as Director of Health and Wellness, and it is that passion that encouraged her to run for her current role as Vice-President of Student Affairs. This position holds a lot of responsibility, but she seems up for the challenge. The Vice-President chairs the Students affairs committee sits on the SGA executive committee, assists the President, Jonathan Allen, in fulfilling his responsibilities when he’s unavailable, as well as acts as an SGA representative in outside committees. A non-required, but perhaps more important, role that Nambiar also assumes is that of a mentor to younger SGA members. She looks fondly upon her time as a new SGA member and all of the role models that she accrued and is paying it forward.

Outside of her SGA duties, Rohini is also the Director of UMD Mayuri, UMD’s classical Indian dance competition. This annual event donates its proceeds to Sankara Nethralaya Ophthalmic Mission (SNOM) Trust, Inc., a non-profit organization that supports a not-for-profit ophthalmic hospital in India. As director, she is in charge of ensuring that the entire event runs smoothly and takes her role very seriously, saying that she is “so proud to not only be director of a student org that I have been in for over three years but also a group that has roots in my Indian heritage.” If you’re interested in attending, this year’s event will be held on March 2, 2019.

When she’s not performing her Vice-Presidential duties or organizing large-scale charitable events, Nambiar likes to let off some steam by working out in Eppley, or cooking and enjoying food. She is a self-described foodie and even has her own food Instagram (@downtofeedblog), where she posts pictures of beautiful and delicate bites–definitely worth a follow!

Rohini’s hard work does not go unnoticed and she does make an effort to make the campus a better place for students. If her time at UMD has proven anything, it is that she has a bright future ahead and will definitely change the world for the better!

Hannah Gaskill

Maryland '20

Originally from Ocean City, MD, Hannah Gaskill received her BFA from Carnegie Mellon University where she graduated with Honors in 2016. Upon graduating, she found herself teaching for several institutions and programs of note in the Pittsburgh area, such as Carnegie Mellon University’s Pre College program, Assemble, and the Mattress Factory. She has also had the pleasure of participating in several art shows in galleries and artist-run spaces around the area, such as PUBLIC, Assemble’s Hyperlocal Showcase, Future Tennant, as well as the Mattress Factory. Hannah is currently pursuing her Masters of Journalism at the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland.