stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Undercover Healthy Options at the Diner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

What’s the first thing that pops in your head when you hear the words “healthy eating?”  For starters, I think of leafy greens on top of more leafy greens. While that is true, there’s a lot more to healthy eating than just eating your greens. People have created this illusion that healthy eating is all about eating a piece of lettuce for lunch, a handful of nuts for dinner, and that’s it. While salads and nuts are healthy foods, you need to eat more than just that to keep you going through the day.

Eating healthy at The Diner on north campus isn’t easy. You’re surrounded by crispy French fries and fudgey brownies. I sometimes have a hard time choosing the healthier option instead of the delicious greasy food that’s calling my name. However, I’ve found healthy options at the Diner that will keep me energized and feeling great. BONUS: these options even taste good! I’ve also included a couple snacks you can pick up from the shops around campus. 

BREAKFAST

Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches aren’t just for lunch; you can have them for breakfast too! I love having a mix of salty and sweet for breakfast so the PB&J hits the spot. You can pick regular bread or an English muffin and toast it at the cereal station. It may not seem very filling, but I guarantee you it is. I’m always satisfied with this simple, but very tasty, breakfast option.  

White bread with peanut butter and jelly. 

SNACK

I don’t know what it is, but after my first class I’m already hungry. This is why I always make sure to grab a banana from the Diner when I eat breakfast. A banana will always hold me off until lunchtime and let’s faces it, bananas are simply amazing. I like to eat mine with peanut butter or Nutella because sometimes a plain banana is just too, well plain, for me. We’re always looking for things to snack on so a banana is a healthy option that is easy to find.

Banana and peanut butter. 

LUNCH

Lunchtime rolls around and you’re already tired and ready to crawl back in bed. If that’s the case, then this lunch option is great for you! Wraps are a good option for lunch because they fill you up without making you feel too full.  The other great thing about them is that you have a variety of ingredients to choose from. Mushrooms, carrots, and sprouts, tomatoes, lettuce, and peppers are all offered. You can change it up everyday and have fun with it!

Wheat wrap with grilled chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, sprouts, peppers, and a little cheese. 

SNACK 2

By the time I get back to my dorm, I’m ready for my next meal. However, I know that if I’m going to go to the gym, I shouldn’t eat too much. At this time it is way too early for dinner. So what do I do? I create myself a little yogurt parfait. Yogurt by itself can be boring so add fruit, granola or both for a delicious treat. You can get yogurt from one of the many shops on campus along with the fruit and granola. You can also get fruit from the salad bar at the Diner and granola from the cereal area.

Chobani strawberry yogurt with blueberries and granola. 

DINNER

I know I’m not the only one who’s ready to eat everything in sight by dinnertime. I’m going to tell you my secret, which I know I’ll regret as soon as I’m done typing it. You ready?  Stir-fry. I’m sure you’ve seen the long line at the vegan station at the diner and wondered what was going on. WELL, it’s the stir-fry line. You can create your own stir-fry by making a bowl at the salad bar of your favorite foods. Pair the noodles with whatever vegetables you want and take it to the vegan station to cook. Your food will be done in five minutes and you’re good to go! You can also grab a piece of chicken from the hamburger/hotdog station if you’re looking to add more protein.  

Noodles, spinach, carrots, sprouts, green peppers, and broccoli. 

SNACK 3

If you stay up late doing homework like me, you’ll understand the late night cravings. Of course it’s always a craving for something sweet. Instead of breaking open into a bag of M&M’s, have a KIND bar. KIND bars come in a variety of flavors with different nuts. My favorite flavors are the ones with chocolate [duh]. These can be found at any of the shops on campus and I highly recommend getting one or two…. or maybe a couple more. I promise that once you have even the teeniest bite, you’ll want to eat more than just one bar.

Dark chocolate cherry cashew Kind bar.

These are only a few of the healthy food options you can get at the Diner. You may not have noticed, but in every picture there is a water bottle in the background.  This is a reminder to stay hydrated! Drink water during every meal and even in-between. If you make sure to eat nutrient-filled foods with a lot of water your appetite should be curved and you too will start to feel healthier.