Try These 5 Wintertime Vegan Recipes And We Promise You’ll Never Go Back

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

We think a lot of things when we hear the word “winter,” but vegan is definitely not one of them. In fact, this time of year tends to be all about those hearty, warm, savory meat-and-potatoes type vibes.

And that’s all fine and dandy, but I’m here to tell you that there are some seriously ah-mazing vegan dishes that deliver the same wintertime feelings and flavors we all grew up loving, without all the food babies and fatigue.

So without further ado, here are five vegan recipes (personally taste-tested!) worth every bite during the chillier months.

1. Sweet Potato Gnocchi in Chipotle Red Sauce

This is soooooooo good. I’m not a huge fan of sweet potatoes, but pairing the soft, pillowy dough dumplings with a spicy, salty, tomato sauce gives you a ton of different flavor profiles to work with.

Not to mention, the dish is extremely adaptable. If you’re not all that into spicy food, you can nix the chipotle and use something like roasted bell pepper in the sauce, instead. Or, if sweet potatoes aren’t your thing, white potatoes, parsnips and even tapioca work as great subs.

2. Chocolate on Toast and Toppings

There is nothing like waking up in the morning, taking a fresh shower and then choosing to eat dessert for breakfast. Scientifically speaking, your biggest and highest-calorie meal of the day should be had at the sooner rather than later so your body has an adequate amount of time to digest it, which means that if there was ever a time to eat chocolate, it would be at breakfast time.

This one’s simple. Just melt some chocolate and stir. Then spread that cocoa on a bread slice of your choice and mix-and-match whatever topics you like! Try bananas and honey for a classic meal, mango and matcha powder for something quirkier or crushed pistachios and pomegranate seeds to feel a little more sophisticated.     

3. Egyptian Red Lentil Soup

When we think of hearty soups, we usually go to beef stews and chunky chicken noodle bowls, but trust me when I say, lentil bean dishes are the perfect example of yummy, vegan options that give you all the satisfaction and absolutely none of the bloat or fatigue.

This recipe pairs red lentils with potatoes, celery, carrots, tomatoes and Middle Eastern/North African spices to create a warm meal perfect for the cooler part of the year. Plus, the cook time is like, 30 minutes tops.

4. Zucchini Noodle Ramen Soup

Zucchini noodles (zoodles), or spiralized noodles, are a serious revelation. Do they taste like actual noodles? No. Do you miss eating real noodles when you replace them with zoodles? Also no, which makes them so perfect as substitutes in dishes such as spaghetti, lasagna, and you guessed it, ramen.

Revamp the classic college staple by following this recipe, which helps you to mimic those essential north Asian flavors while also experimenting with some versatile vegetables.

5. Tomato Bruschetta

If you ever want to feel like you’re in a sequel to Julie & Julia, you cook yourself some tomato bruschetta. Seriously, it’ll make you want to start a food blog. And again, this one is simple but absolutely delicious and college-budget friendly.

All you need are tomatoes, salt, a French baguette, olive oil/butter, and maybe a little basil to impress everyone at your next together with a vegan option sweet, salty, acidic, crunchy, buttery, you name it.  

Maryam Pitt

Maryland '18

.