This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Perhaps the most difficult part of the “real world” is finding a job. But, in order to find a job you need to have had an internship. And in order to find an internship you need experience. How are you supposed to have experience to get an internship where you intend to gain experience? Now if that catch-22 doesn’t make you dizzy, I don’t know what will.

But, fear not, there are plenty of ways to attack the internship search so that you’re not pulling your hair out! By utilizing your resources to their greatest potential, your best internship might be hiding beneath your nose.

Your teachers are you friends. As a junior or senior, most students are already fully emerged in their major-related studies. Utilize your professors who work in your field of study, you’d be surprised to find their Rolodex is probably filled with contacts. They also might have some suggestions as to where you can begin your search.

Subscribe to your individual college list serve. Often each college sends out e-mail blasts with internship opportunities, career fairs or speakers that may point you in the right direction.

Career fairs are often the best way to get your foot in the door with a variety of different businesses, while also practicing your interviewing skills. Bring some copies of your resume and use the time not only to find some potential jobs, but also practice your question asking and answering skills in a professional environment.  

Internqueen.com aggregates a variety of different internships tailored towards specific geographic areas. All you need to do is sign up, and you can start searching for internships that fit your desired needs.

Don’t be afraid to ask around. Ask your friends what their parents do for a living; you may find that they work in a field you’re interested in.

The Career Center at the University of Maryland offers a calendar of events, an internship database and useful resources to help you perfect your resume and cover letter.

Last but not least, make the best of your interning experiences. Some internships will offer college credit so that you can knock out 3 credits of academic work. Some offer stipends for living, eating and transportation while others offer a salary.

Don’t be afraid to ask questions and use your resources. Seek and you shall find!

Photo Credit (top): Career.Umd.Edu
Photo Credit (bottom): InternQueen.com