nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
nastuh abootalebi yWwob8kwOCk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The hard work is over. You’re hired! That’s right. You landed your dream internship for the summer. You already have the brains and now it is time to impress your boss with your chic sense of style

All offices are different, so at the beginning, you might not know exactly how to dress. Once you get there, you will get a sense of how formal your attire needs to be, and after that you can dress accordingly. However, on the first day, you should pull out all the bells and whistles and dress the most professional. You never get a second chance at … nearly anything!  Make this first impression count.

If your company’s culture ends up being pretty traditional and strict on dress code, be respectful but do not be afraid to make it your own. Accessorize to your hearts content and wear pieces that you feel comfortable in. Professional attire is not restricted to one of Hillary Clinton’s pants suits.

If you are on the job and you realize that a full on business suit is not necessary, feel free to tweak your outfits. This does not mean that leggings or sneakers should EVER be an option, but you can definitely unbutton the blazer and relax.

Unfortunately, there is a good chance that your internship will be unpaid. Affording your regular expenses on top of a wardrobe that is on fleek can be a bit of a stretch on a tight budget. If you rummage through your closet or a friend’s, odds are you will find some pieces that will easily transition into a work environment with the help of a blazer and some heels.

If starting anew is necessary, you do not have to break the bank. Stores like H&M and Zara have great clothes perfect for a young professional at reasonable prices, especially if there is a sale. Stores like J. Crew, Madewell, ASOS and Club Monaco offer student discounts to sweeten the deal on your already fabulous purchases.

Hey! My name is Jenna and I am a junior journalism major and art history minor at the University of Maryland. I am from New Jersey and love all things fashion and beauty. Find out more about me and see more of my writing on my blog http://jennariquelle.wordpress.com/