How to Rock ‘90s Fashion the Right Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Three words. Chokers. Denim. Platforms. There, I said it. Every single trend you will see this fall will encompass some combination of these old school styles. Although some styles should stay in the past (I’m looking at you, mullet haircut), other styles are welcomed with a warm hello. So if you need some help pulling of these stellar styles, don’t worry. We have you covered! Step one is to go shopping, of course. For inspiration, look below or check out your favorite fashion blogs. Step two is to organize your closet. It’s better to bring more key pieces to the front of your closet to know what you have around. And the third step? Accessorize, accessorize, accessorize!

Chokers

Thanks to the wonderful Kim K, chokers are making a huge comeback. Whether it’s a denim piece of cloth, velvet strip or gold wrap with stones, anyone can pull this look off! Here are some of our favorite styles.

To style these, the key is simplicity. Don’t add extra layers when you’re already rocking a thick black choker; it’ll take away from the entire ensemble. Also, the plastic stretchy chokers you used to play with as a kid are definitely in, but to dress it up, try some more grown-up brands!

Jean Skirts/Overalls

Denim outfits have always been welcomed (minus Brit and JT’s interesting combo years back), and the denim skirts are making a grand entrance back into the fashion and tailgating world, too. Whether you’re walking the red carpet (to class) or strutting your stuff at your football team’s home game, denim skirts are a definite IN and they’re here to stay…for now.

To pull off the 90s trend, make sure you modernize and accessorize! Relaxed hair, piled on jewels and some attitude is really all you need to make the look come together. To get your own, check out Nordstrom, Forever21, your local thrift store or your old closet for some inspiration!

Platform Shoes

Platforms are a definite plus to bring back for all you pipsqueaks like me out there! Thankfully, you can be a few inches taller without killing your feet in pencil-tipped stilettos at the end of the day. These shoes are perfect for any season because they come in so many varieties (More shopping, please!).

For sunnier days, try a rose gold or platinum platform sandal paired with a simple denim outfit or fun romper. And don’t forget your choker! For those days you’re really feeling the chills, try a closed toe platform sneaker to pair with leggings and a flowy top for balance.

Sophomore Communication major with a passion for beads and Diet Coke.