Five Detox Water Drinks to Keep Off the Holiday Pounds

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Do you love Christmas cookies, eggnog, Starbucks’ holiday drinks, candy canes, and the other treats you are about to enjoy over winter break? If you do, and you are worried about gaining unwanted pounds, there is a solution for you.

The solution is detox water beverages!

Detox water drinks keep your metabolism running quickly and keep your body clean of toxins. Detox water drinks have been known to either keep a few pounds off of women or actually help them lose weight. They also help you maintain a flat belly so you can still look perfect in your holiday dresses, while indulging in some of you favorite foods!

Detox water drinks have other benefits as well; they help you stay hydrated and reach your needed eight glasses of water a day, and can help you stay away from drinking sugary flavored drinks. They are also easy and inexpensive to do because all of the different kinds of detox drinks incorporate similar ingredients!

Just drink them in the morning and you can eat anything you want after because the ingredients kick start your metabolism started in the morning and let you burn the calories of the junk food all day!

1)    The Classic Detox Water: lemon, mint, and cucumber 

Photo Courtesy of Kojo Designs 

Why: This detox drink is perfect for aiding digestion, staying hydrated, and keeping your tummy flat!

What you need: 1 lemon, ¼ cucumber, 5 mint leaves, and 6 cups of water

Directions: Get a mason jar or a large sports water bottle to put all your ingredients in. Slice your lemon and ¼ of a cucumber and put them in your container of choice. Next, wash your 5 mint leaves and then put them in the container. Lastly, add in 6 cups of water and put your detox water drink in the fridge overnight! Drink in the morning when you wake up to get your metabolism and digestive system going.

Helpful hint: If you don’t have a lemon in your kitchen but you have a lime, you can use the lime as a substitute.

Source: The Denver Housewife

2)    The Detox Water With Flavor: lemon, mint, and strawberry

Why: This combination is known to help women lose weight quickly and keep a flat tummy.

What you need: 1 lemon, 5 mint leaves, 8 strawberries, and 6 cups of water

Directions: Get a mason jar or a large sports water bottle to put all your ingredients in. Slice your lemon and wash your 8 strawberries and put them in your container of choice. Next, wash your mint leaves and then put them in the container. Lastly, add in 6 cups of water and put your detox water drink in the fridge overnight! Drink in the morning when you wake up to get your metabolism and digestive system going.

Helpful hint: Use frozen strawberries to keep your drink extra cold!

3)    The Detox Water With a Kick: lime, cinnamon, and strawberry

Why: Cinnamon is a key ingredient to this detox drink because it lowers the body’s negative responses to high-fat meals. The lime and strawberries also help to cleanse the body and keep metabolism going.

What you need: 1 lime, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon, 6 strawberries, and 6 cups of water

Directions: Get a mason jar or a large sports water bottle to put all your ingredients in. Slice your lemon and slice your 6 strawberries in half and put them in your container of choice. Next, add ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon to the container. Lastly, add in 6 cups of water and put your detox water drink in the fridge overnight! Drink in the morning when you wake up to get your metabolism and digestive system going.

Helpful hint: If you don’t have a lime, you can use a lemon. Also, if you don’t have ground cinnamon you can put in half of a stick of cinnamon!

Source: Cinnamon Strawberry

4)    The Fall Season Detox Water: apple and cinnamon

Why: The cinnamon really helps your body from having negative responses to fat while the apple gives you energy.

What you need: 2 apples of your choice and ½ teaspoon of cinnamon

Directions: Get a mason jar or a large sports water bottle to put all your ingredients in. Wash the two apples, slice them, and add them to the container of your choice. .Next, add ½ a teaspoon of cinnamon to the container. Lastly, add in 6 cups of water and put your detox water drink in the fridge overnight! Drink in the morning when you wake up to get your metabolism and digestive system going.

Helpful hint: The apples with the most nutritional value are idared, red delicious, honey crisp, and granny smith!

5)    The Tangy Detox Water: lemon, lime, oranges, and mint

Why: This detox drink really aids digestion and keeps your metabolism going at a high rate.What you need: ½ lemon, ½ lime, ½ orange, and 5 mint leaves

Directions: Get a mason jar or a large sports water bottle to put all your ingredients in. Slice your ½ lemon, ½ lime, and ½ orange and put them in your container of choice. Next, wash your 5 mint leaves and then put them in the container. Lastly, add in 6 cups of water and put your detox water drink in the fridge overnight! Drink in the morning when you wake up to get your metabolism and digestive system going.

Helpful hint: If you don’t have a lemon or lime, use a whole orange instead of half!

Cover photo: Kojo Designs  

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.