Cooking and College: What Healthy Eating Can Do For You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

For many University of Maryland students, college acts as their initial sense of independence. Living on your own for the first time can come with a whirlwind of emotions; excitement, freedom, and even anxiety. While there are many responsibilities that come with living on your own, one of the most challenging tasks for college students — especially when they move from a dorm to an apartment — is cooking.

The typical college student’s diet notoriously consists of ramen noodles, microwavable mac and cheese and takeout from a variety of fast food chains around campus. Although these options are a convenient “quick fix,” learning to cook is a healthy and fun activity to experience with friends.

For Sophia Glaros, a sophomore physiology and neurobiology major, cooking with friends is a way to de-stress and channel both her passion for food and her inventiveness.

“Cooking also lets me express my creativity by never following a recipe and simply creating my own recipe,” Glaros said.

chopping food and food prep
Photo by Conscious Design from Unsplash

With a rigorous pre-med schedule, Glaros explained how rewarding it is to have self-autonomy in the kitchen. 

“With a demanding major and career path, most of my day stems from something that I am forced to learn, such as chemistry labs that have a strict procedure,” Glaros said. “With cooking, it is the part of my day that cannot be correct or incorrect. It is a hobby that I genuinely enjoy doing and makes every day of work have a reward at the end.”

Similarly, sophomore accounting major Breena Rettig has found a new love for cooking, especially with her three roommates. For Rettig, cooking has helped her create ever-lasting memories.

“There is never a dull moment,” Rettig said. “One night, we can be making a full Taco Tuesday, and other times, we can accidentally be setting brownies on fire. By cooking all together, it has allowed my roommates and I to take necessary time out of our busy schedules and laugh together.” 

Rettig explained how important it is to step away from the hectic college lifestyle and enjoy time with the people who make her the happiest.  

“When I look back in 10 years, I’m not going to remember my stressful exams but the fun memories I created with my best friends,” Rettig said.

Growing up in a large Italian family, sophomore Chinese major Tommy Riela has been cooking for as long as he can remember. 

Despite his experience in the kitchen, it wasn’t until he joined ROTC that Riela discovered a passion for cooking.

Ramen in a pan with sauce, and eggs and vegetables on the counter.
Photo by Patchanu Noree from Burst/Shopify

“I was a top athlete in high school and am generally very competitive, and I was not very happy to find that I was one of the least physically fit Marine Midshipman in our unit when I initially started ROTC,” Riela said. “I have taken every step to become among the best in our unit, including cooking healthy meals.”

Not only has cooking healthier meals allowed Riela to gain physical strength, but it has also improved his mental health and self-image. 

“Self-reliance is also a valued trait in the military, which I have come to value myself, and cooking my own meals fits into that mindset,” Riela said.

Although learning how to cook can seem challenging at first, both the mental and physical rewards make every step of a delicious meal worth it. 

There are a variety of different ways to learn to cook in the current online environment, including through social media. There are many Youtube channels and TikTok accounts that teach students to cook delicious meals that are college-budget friendly. 

Cornell University student Jeremy Scheck’s blog and TikTok page — both called ScheckEats — offer delicious and creative meal ideas.  In addition, there are many Facebook groups like the Favorite Trader Joe’s Products group that help members expand their knowledge of cooking and meal options.

Delaney Engel

Maryland '23

My name is Delaney Engel. I am 20 years old from New Jersey. I am a sophomore journalism major at the University of Maryland-Philip Merrill College of Journalism and I am minoring in public policy (public leadership track). I am hoping to pursue a career in corporate journalism or PR. I am so excited to be working with Her Campus !
Devon Milley is a junior at the University of Maryland College Park, majoring in multi-platform journalism and information science. She's currently a Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Raised in Pittsburgh, PA, Devon is a major Netflix binger, and loves coffee and ice cream. Follow her on Instagram @dnm1023 and Twitter @Devon_MIlley.