This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

The University of Maryland Health and Wellness Center has declared the month of February to be Love Your Body month. The month will be filled with special events like a body image open mic night and a love your body at Zumba exercise classes for students interested in promoting a healthier body image.

“[Body issues] are stereotyped as an issue for rich white women, but they affect everyone,” Meghan Cohen, the coordinator for health and wellness, said.

Cohen refutes these stereotypes and says that we are a campus that varies in body size, color, gender and sexuality; because of this we can realize that unhealthy body images don’t just effect the stereotype but are plaguing many students.

This is the 5th Annual Love Your Body month; the University previously celebrated it as love your body week but it has since expanded. This year Cohen hopes that students understand the message that there is help and support available on campus and students should feel welcomed to come speak with them at any time.

“I think the university is a great resource for young women to go to because it is comfortable for them and they don’t have to feel nervous about talking to someone about their problems,” said sophomore communications major Taylor Rockower. “It is so close to where they are that it makes it that much easier for them to go about seeking help.”

Students like Rockower are able to participate in this month long event “to promote knowledge and awareness of eating disorders amongst college students,” according to the love your body month information page.

It is also written on the page that women and men between the ages of 18-21 are most vulnerable to eating disorders. Cohen stressed that she hopes student can learn new ways to love themselves throughout this month’s events.

Many organizations are involved in putting together this month including the sorority Delta Phi Epsilon for the event, “Have Your Cake and Eat it Too!” This event is being lead by dietitian Jane Jakubczak, RD, MPH and the Dietetic Student Volunteers who are teaching how to have a healthy relationship with food.

“I believe in balance and especially with food you have to have a give and take,” sophomore community health major Sydney Shale said. “You shouldn’t be able to never eat chocolate, but it’s all about moderation.”

Shale thinks that people should understand that so many students are going through an unhealthy relationship with food especially because the options on campus aren’t always great. Not everyone knows about what is happening on campus and what options are available.

For more information on the month’s events, make sure to visit http://www.health.umd.edu/lybm. The events are open to all students and everyone is encouraged to come out and learn more about their bodies and how to love them.

Jaclyn is so excited to be a campus correspondent with Her Campus! She is a sophomore at the University of Maryland, double majoring in Journalism and American Studies. Jaclyn hopes to work as an editor at a magazine in the future. She loves following fashion, attending concerts, traveling, and photographing the world around her.