Alexandra Theriot, Intern with Department of Homeland Security

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Alexandra Theriot

Graduation Year: 2017

Major: Multiplatform Journalism; Global Terrorism minor

When you’re in college, your email inbox is constantly flooded with news about internship opportunities. Typically, most of them end up in our trash, but sometimes they can lead to an amazing internship experience. Alexandra Theriot checked her inbox one day and received a flyer from her minor coordinator about how to apply for an internship with the Department of Homeland Security. She admits she was intimidated at first and had her eye on other internships when this opportunity stumbled upon her. But Alexandra decided to take the leap and apply to see what would come of it.   

“The hardest part was getting a recommendation letter. I asked my supervisor from my summer internship and luckily she said yes!” she said.

Alexandra was shocked when she received an email only one day after submitting her application asking for a phone interview. About two weeks later, she found out she was accepted to the White House Liaison’s Office Internship Program. Once Alexandra was accepted, she had to go through a federal background check, which included a finger printing process.

Currently, Alexandra works in the Office of the Public Affairs at the Department of Homeland Security headquarters. Her typical day involves getting to the office around 8 a.m. and going to a meeting with the entire office or her supervisor and team colleagues. During her daily morning meeting, Alexandra finds out what she will be in charge of for that day or week. She said when a national event that needs immediate attention is occurring, the office can be quite busy and she’s assigned varying tasks. But for now, her days mostly consist of publishing web content or reviewing strategic plans for upcoming agency projects.

“By interning at this office, I can apply my college courses to a real world setting and gain valuable experience that I can definitely use in the classroom, as well. I’m able to work with a lot of people from different backgrounds and learn from them, which is inspiring and exceptionally insightful.”

Alexandra hopes in the future to get a job in the Office of Public Affairs for a government agency, especially at the Department of Homeland Security. Living out her professional goals this semester through an internship has been an amazing experience for her.