6 University of Maryland Women Who Are Crushing It

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

If you didn’t know already, the University of Maryland has a Commission on Women’s Issues that is led by the president of the school. Their job is to advocate on behalf of all women at the university. The commission’s duties range from making recommendations for women’s needs on campus to educating the entire community about issues related to females.

Each year, the group hosts a “Celebration of Women.” In this ceremony, women faculty, staff and students are recognized and some are even picked as “women of influence.” The following six women were chosen:

1. Dr. Nicole Coomber

Dr. Coomber, a mother of four, is a part of the faculty in the management and organization area at the Robert H. Smith School of Business. One of her most notable accomplishments was the creation of a blog titled “Managing Motherhood.” Within the site, she advises parents on balancing both their professional and family lives. “Managing Motherhood” has now expanded into a video series produced by the business school’s Office of Marketing Communications.

2.  Tiffany Gaines-Ekwueme

Ekwueme is the assistant director for housing partnerships in the Department of Resident Life. She is the founder of #Blackgirlsmeet. The creation of this group allows women of color to have a safe space to discuss the issues they face on a day-to-day basis and relate to one another as well.

3. Anna Packy

Packy is a senior mechanical engineering and kinesiology double major. She co-founded Women in Engineering Leadership Development. This organization’s goal is to build confidence and leadership skills in women pursuing careers in the engineering field, one that is just beginning to open up to more and more women.

Giphy by Ana Caro

4. Dr. Chandra Turpen

Dr. Turpen exemplifies the idea of women supporting women. She is known to offer her office to women who need to pump breast milk or breastfeed their babies. The research assistant professor in the Physics Education Research Group is always willing to give a helping hand to expecting mothers. She also has helped to create grants for childcare to parents who want to attend national conferences in her field.

5. Timea Webster

Webster is the executive assistant to the chief diversity officer within the Office of Diversity and Inclusion. In the aftermath of the death of second Lt. Collins, Webster helped to facilitate conversations between students, faculty, and staff in dealing with this tragic event.

6. Dr. Terry Zacker

Dr. Zacker is the associate director of the Department of Student Affairs Development and External Relations. Other than organizing fundraisers for the Stamp Student Union, she created the Adele’s Circle for Women. This organization empowers female students and alumnae to be socially-engaged in the world today and encourages them to follow their passions.

Giphy by Nicole aka “yippywhippy”

Megan Sayles

Maryland '21

Megan is a sophomore at UMD. She is a multi-platform journalism major, and is hoping to pursue social media managing in that field. Meg loves playing piano and boating. Her favorite quote is, "You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy," by C. JoyBell C.