ingredients on table 1184265jpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ingredients on table 1184265jpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Suzy Hazelwood - Pexels

6 Healthy, College Friendly Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

Are you worried about the “freshman 15?” Do you have a major sweet tooth and want a quick, easy and healthy dessert to make in your dorm room?  

Here are six cheap and easy recipes that are perfect for college students who want to satisfy their sweet tooth without worrying about extra weight gain. Bonus: try the healthy cooking hacks to make the recipes you love a little healthier. 

1. Apple Nachos

apple slices
Photo by Louis Hansel from Unsplash

These dessert nachos can be customized to your liking and are the perfect combo sweet tooth/healthy snack. First, slice an apple of your choice into thin slivers and place them on a plate. Over the apples, drizzle your topping of choice. This can be any nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter, or even caramel. Lastly, sprinkle your favorite granola on top to add some crunch. If you want to mix it up you can sprinkle over some nuts like almonds, or add some mini unsweetened chocolate chips. 

Healthy Hack: The natural sugars from apples will enhance the sweetness of any dish.  Use applesauce as a substitute for baking oil. If a recipe calls for a ¼ cup of oil, replace it with ¼ cup of applesauce. This substitution not only reduces calories and fat but also adds moisture and nutrients to whatever you are baking. 

2. Banana Peanut Butter Bites 

banana slices
Photo by Eiliv-Sonas Aceron from Unsplash

If you are craving a cold, sweet treat alternative to ice cream, try these easy Banana Peanut Butter Bites.  Start by cutting up one banana into ¼  inch thick pieces. Next, lay them flat on a plate and spread a little dollop of peanut butter, or the nut butter of your choice, onto each banana slice. Finally, sprinkle some cinnamon on top of the banana slices. Although it may not seem like it, cinnamon is the perfect final touch to this treat because it satisfies the need for sugar. Excessive amounts of sugar can lead to cavities and weight gain, but a substitute like cinnamon is equally satisfying and has health benefits that regular sugar lacks. Put this plate into the freezer until the peanut butter and banana slices are frozen. Then, take them out and enjoy! 

Healthy Hack: Replace granulated sugar with maple syrup in your recipes. Compared to harsh refined sugars, natural maple syrup adds the same sweetness benefit without the harsh chemicals of sugar. Also, maple sugar has more minerals than regular sugar which can help immune support. 

3. Avocado Chocolate Pudding

chocolate pudding
Photo by Sarah Gualtieri from Unsplash

If you love the chocolate pudding, then this recipe is for you.  Avocado is the perfect healthy fat substitute.This recipe can be cut in half if you want to make a smaller batch. 

You will need: 

• 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk 

• 2 avocados 

• ½ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder 

• ½ cup + 2 tablespoons of maple sugar 

• 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract 

• ½ teaspoon of cinnamon 

• Pinch of salt 

Blend all the ingredients for 30 to 60 seconds. Make sure to consistently scrape down the sides of the blender to ensure all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed. Spoon evenly into cups and chill in your refrigerator for at least three hours. 

Healthy Hack: Replace butter with avocados. This can be done in an equal ratio. Avocados have less calories, saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium compared to butter. Ex. 1 cup butter = 1 cup of mashed avocado

4. Protein Powder Mug Cakes 

chocolate bundt cake
Photo by Jordane Mathieu from Unsplash

Mug Cakes are a quick, no mess alternative to baking. Combine one scoop of the protein powder of your choice, almond milk, a splash of maple sugar and a dash of baking soda into a mu, then microwave for one minute. Top with whipped cream, and enjoy! 

5. Chocolate Microwavable Mug Cake 

cake bite
Photo by Jordane Mathieu from Unsplash

This recipe is gluten, grain and dairy free and the perfect portion size for a snack or dessert after a meal. Melt ¾ teaspoon of coconut oil in your mug. Then add one egg, two tablespoons of honey, two tablespoons of almond milk and ¾ of vanilla extract. Mix the ingredients together, then add two tablespoons of almond flour and cocoa powder. Lastly, mix in two tablespoons of flaxseed meal and a pinch of salt. Put your mug into the microwave for two minutes, let the cake cool, then enjoy.

6. No Bake Protein Cookie Balls

stacked oatmeal cookies
Photo by Taylor Kiser from Unsplash

No Bake Protein Cookie Balls are the perfect sweet snack for when you’re on-the-go. Combine 1 ½ cups of oats, ½ cup of peanut butter, two scoops of protein powder, ¼ cup of honey or maple sugar and chocolate chips into a large bowl. Add water little by little until the dough forms. Then, roll the dough into cookie-sized balls, and chill them for about 30 minutes. 

I am currently a freshman journalism major at UMD and I am from Buffalo, New York. I am passionate about sharing advice about living as a female in today's society.
Devon Milley is a junior at the University of Maryland College Park, majoring in multi-platform journalism and information science. She's currently a Campus Correspondent for her chapter. Raised in Pittsburgh, PA, Devon is a major Netflix binger, and loves coffee and ice cream. Follow her on Instagram @dnm1023 and Twitter @Devon_MIlley.