neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

4 Things I’ve Learned During My First Month in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Maryland chapter.

My first month at college in three words: exciting but overwhelming.

Even as an in-state student who isn’t too far from home, I’m far enough that I definitely feel like I’m on my own. One of my favorite parts about being here is that tangible feeling of independence and the quick taste of adulthood without worrying about the bills and taxes that come with it.

But, being independent is just as overpowering as it is thrilling. I find myself always thinking ahead about how to make the most of my time here with clubs and internships, how to make time for myself in the midst of schoolwork, and how to take care of my health and mental wellbeing.

I know that I’m not the only student who’s already trying to piece together the future when it’s just been a few weeks of the next four. These are a few things I’ve learned during my first month to keep in mind whether it’s about finding my thing to slowing life down when it feels a little too fast.

1. Apply to things even if you don’t think you’ll get it. Seriously.

Photo by rawpixels.com on Pexels

I applied for a few positions when I started looking for ways to get involved on campus,\. From that experience, all I can say is that applying to anything can be somewhat intimidating because of the wave of uncertainty that comes with pressing the ‘Submit’ button. However, the answer if you don’t apply will always be ‘no.’ 

But, out of all the rejections, sometimes, things will actually work out! I applied for a position that I believed I was definitely underqualified for, and the surprise and happiness that hit me the next day when I got an acceptance email was incredible.

Even if you don’t succeed the first time, it’s better to go for it and even have those reviewing your application know your name so if you apply next year they see your willingness to try again.

2. Know when to step back and stay within your limits.

Photo by Startup Stock Photos on Pexels

While it’s great to keep putting yourself out there, once you have all your options laid out in front of you, it’s best to realistically evaluate what you can and can’t do. I was so excited to join clubs that I signed up for too many, leaving no room in my personal schedule to do homework and relax. I eventually had to drop out of some clubs to make more time in my personal schedule because I knew I wouldn’t be able to do them all.

Not being a part of an organization or doing an activity does not make you any less capable or strong. Knowing when to push your limits or stay in them is a truly valuable skill and, if anything is a subtle way of self-care because you’re prioritizing your wellbeing and goals.

3. Take your work and your day one step at a time.

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels

Most people are aware that in college, you’ll be balancing your social and academic lives on your own. Looking at your calendar and not being able to see the white space past all your events will definitely make your brain glitch. 

On days when what you have planned for the next month or even for the next week feels like too much, remember to focus on the present. I’ve found that planning out the order I’m going to do my work for the current day and the next day only helps to minimize the stress of multiple assignments and events.

Taking your life a day at a time not only can help you focus more and stress less, but it can also help you enjoy the present.

4. If you make a mistake, it’s okay.

Photo by Pixabay on Pexels

I have definitely already messed up on assignments in class and had my work pretty heavily edited within my first few weeks, and it’s easy to take these critiques personally, wondering if you’ll have to relearn skills from high school because college is at a brand new standard you hadn’t known existed.

Making mistakes is essential to growing up. Nobody really knows how to adult; we’re all figuring out what works for us as we go along. Someone on campus has probably made the exact same mistake, and one mistake will not change the trajectory of your future. In fact, it’s probably not as monumental as you thought. With time and experience, you will learn, and that’s what will help you grow into the adult you’re destined to be.

Photo by Stanley Morales on Pexels

Even though most of these things may seem obvious, sometimes, we just need reminders to take ourselves less seriously, to live in the present, and to take chances and opportunities just for the sake of them.

Gabrielle Lewis is a sophomore double Journalism and Criminology & Criminal Justice major at the University of Maryland. Aside from writing articles, she also writes short stories and poetry, makes watercolor paintings, and dances ballet in her free time. You can find her on Twitter and Instagram @gabrielleslewis.
Ambriah Underwood is an avid reader and writer. In 2016, she graduated from Baltimore City College high school becoming an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme recipient. She attends the University of Maryland as a senior, pursuing a degree in journalism with a minor in Spanish. During the spring of 2018, she copyedited news, opinion and diversion sections for an on-campus, student-run publication known as The Diamondback. After spending a year writing for Her Campus Maryland, and, later, functioning as an editor as well, she became co-Campus Correspondent. She plans to further her involvement with the group as well as gain more editorial experience through internships and by continuing her passion for storytelling. Ambriah Underwood resides in Washington County, Maryland.