How 5 Marshall Students Are Coping With COVID-19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marshall chapter.

The COVID-19 pandemic has deeply affected Huntington, West Virginia and its residents by changing so many aspects of our daily lives. Colleges across the United States have seen spikes in Covid-19 cases on their campuses due to having large parties and a blatant disregard for social distancing. As an effect, colleges are having to revert to being completely online, sport seasons are being canceled or postponed, and many students are having to return home. Marshall University has not been an exception. As a junior at Marshall University and as someone who lives close to campus, I’ve witnessed firsthand how this pandemic has divided our campus and caused an increase in student’s feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and depression. I decided to interview a variety of students from different towns/countries, with different majors, and different involvements at Marshall to find out more about how this pandemic has altered their lives and how they are dealing with these changes.  

The first student, Abi Dropik, is a senior playing on the women’s soccer team. Dropik feels that the best way for students to not feel as overwhelmed is by staying organized and ahead of schedule as possible as well as making time to spend time with friends and relax. Dropik also gives her perspective on how Marshall’s athletic department specifically is having problems with keeping athletes safe during practices.

Are your classes mainly virtual and how are you adjusting to these classes?  

A: “Yes, all of my classes are virtual except for one lab. I had to create a study nook in my room so I would have an area that I could focus in. I keep a really detailed planner for every assignment for every class because there are a lot more assignments in my classes than I’m used to. I’m adjusting by trying to change my outlook and expectations of how the courses should be and trying to be understanding of my professors.”

 Is there anything that you think Marshall could have done better or could do better while handling this academic year? Is there any way that you think they could improve campus safety for students and faculty?  

A: “I believe that Marshall University worked hard to make the environment as safe as possible, but I have found several areas where I have felt unsafe. I believe it is hard for every area to maintain proper safety such as athletic training areas or on the field training. It is impossible to maintain distance during these activities, but I feel individuals are not being held accountable for not wearing a mask or not staying distant when possible. I believe this is mostly due to understaffing in the training department. Overall, I think Marshall is doing what it can to help its students be safe with the funds they have, but that doesn’t necessarily mean everything is as safe as it could be.” 

  

How are you maintaining your mental health currently?  

A: “I make sure to exercise very often. I also try to keep a routine and keep track of things I have done and things I have to do in order to limit my stress and keep my mind clearer when I am working on things. I have been trying to stay ahead on schoolwork to minimize my stress and anxiety. I also make sure to keep time open to spend time with my friends to have fun and enjoy myself.”  

Do you have any additional tips for dealing with stress and anxiety during the pandemic that could be helpful to others?  

 A: “I have found that organization is the key to minimizing my stress and anxiety. Keeping on top of things has given me the ability to focus on the work itself and not let the number of things I have to do overwhelm me. Also, make sure to schedule time for things you enjoy so you can relax!”

The second student is Bailey Joseph, a first-year nursing school student at St. Mary’s Hospital. She has a different perspective on the pandemic as a nursing student, because she is learning from and being trained by people who had first-hand experience with the COVID-19 patients, and is frequently in positions that could put her at risk of getting the virus. She talks about how nursing school is much different than what she expected and the precautions that the nursing school is taking to keep her and her peers safe.  

Bailey: “All of my classes are virtual except for my clinical. I’d say I’m adjusting okay, it’s very hard for me to learn online.”                                

As a nursing student, how is your experience different than what you expected? How has the nursing school adapted their classes to follow social distancing guidelines?  

B: “I expected to be in class learning about things hands on, it’s very different than what I expected. St. Mary’s has done an excellent job at maintaining the safety of the students, we are in small groups of about 6 people and we attend clinical once a week with a face shield and face mask while being 6 feet apart at all times. The lecture portion is all online.”      

     

B: “During this pandemic, I think it’s important to take time out of each day to focus on myself.”      

  

B: “Try to do something physical like going for a walk in the park, it will ease your mind and you will get a break from studying while exercising.” 

Next, Emily Yablonsky is a senior, and is one of the many prospective medical students trying to figure out how to obtain their requirements for medical school during a time when it is very difficult to find safe ways to job shadow or do other extracurricular activities, like working in research labs or volunteering. As a science major, she gives insight into how Marshall is handling their lab classes that are mainly meeting in person this semester. Yablonsky also emphasizes how helpful seeing a counselor or therapist virtually can be, especially during a time when many people are experiencing heightened symptoms of anxiety and depression.

Emily: “All of my classes are virtual this year, but one, which is a lab that I show up to on campus every other week. Given last spring’s semester I found myself more prepared to handle the online classes. However, without going in person, my classes seem to run together, and I feel alone in my subjects, without any other students or study resources or study resources that were previously available.”  

E: “I think Marshall has done an adequate job with the situation and maintaining health guidelines. Especially after attending my in-person lab, where everyone was far apart, they were labeled entrances/exits, masks were worn by everyone, and gloves were provided along with clean supplies to clean our areas.”

How has the pandemic altered your plans for this year as a senior and a prospective medical student?  

E: “My capstone is scheduled for next semester, so it has not quite affected me yet, but I can foresee challenges with research and shadowing opportunities. Additionally, I plan to work in a clinical setting or do research prior to medical school, which will be a challenge to find with the current restrictions.”  

E: “During this time, I have been running at the park, doing yoga, attending therapy, and spending time with friends in small crowds/ safe environments, which has helped me mentally. ” 

E: “For others that struggle with stress and anxiety, I would recommend exercise, yoga, staying in touch with friends/family if they are unable to see them physically, and attending therapy. Although most counseling centers aren’t seeing patients in person, having someone to talk to even virtually is better than nothing.”   

Another student, Laura Farrelly is a junior from New South Wales, Australia. She is also a member of the university’s women’s soccer team. Farrelly gives insight about how her experience with the pandemic is different than her family and friend’s experiences back home in Australia. She also talks about how being a part of the soccer team and seeing friends here has helped her cope.

Laura: “My classes are for the most part virtual with the exception of 1 class. This has definitely been a struggle adjusting to these classes as they require very good time management. Since moving online, I have started making lists of everything that is due by what day every week. I live just off campus, so it is easier in my opinion to get caught up in not doing my homework as I’m not around as many people actively doing work all the time.”

  L: “The biggest thing that I think Marshall could have done better in terms of academically during this pandemic is having everything to do with classes on the same platforms so students are able to have a holistic view and aren’t spending as much time trying to plot their week and what is due every week. If professors all used blackboard to the extent of its capabilities, and put in all of the syllabus details, through the blackboard app all notification for all classes would help you stay on top of everything. I only have a few professors who use blackboard to its full potential.” 

As an international student and a student athlete what have you struggled with most during this pandemic?  

L: “As an international student I have honestly struggled the most during this pandemic with the lack of consequences associated with all things to do with coronavirus. Where I am from things are essentially back to normal for the most part in terms of the toll corona is playing on people’s lives  whereas here people all around me are testing positive and being exposed due to little to no consequences for not abiding by community rules, regulations and expectations in general. My whole state back home has 1 case in the whole state whereas I can count five people I know that have covid-19 in my small circle of friends in the community here at Marshall. I believe that if more strict regulations were put forward by the university and consequences were promptly enforced and actions taken the pandemic could be much better controlled within the Marshall community much like it has been in most parts of the world. What has essentially changed most for me in this pandemic is my opinion on what is the bare minimum that needs to be done to minimize the spread of coronavirus.” 

L: “During these times I am maintaining my physical health by training a few times a week with my teammates wearing masks. In terms of mental health, I am trying to avoid cramming myself inside every day for long periods of time and getting out and doing activities at a distance with friends when I can.” 

L: “I would suggest to my peers to try to get outside as much as you can and be in an open environment a lot more as opposed to being inside all of the time. We are also making active efforts as a team to help out in the community in as many ways as possible such as going to the shelter and walking some dogs which is definitely as much of a benefit mentally to me as it is for the animals at the shelters and a great way to relieve stress and get your mind off of things.”    

The last student, Sophie Oliashirazi, is a sophomore at Marshall in the accelerated BS/MD program. She is also a member of Greek Life and holds a leadership position in her sorority, Delta Zeta. She explains how her classes have changed and how DZ has adapted to social distancing guidelines as well as how living on campus and having a suitemate has helped her maintain some normalcy during this time.

Sophie: “My classes are all virtual except one yoga class. It’s difficult to pay attention in longer classes like organic because I do so much better when I’m in the classroom. I think it’s just harder for the professor to make the class as engaging when it’s online. I live on campus which I think has actually made it easier for me because I still feel like I’m having the college experience. I get to have a suite mate & I can do my classes in the science building or library which definitely helps.” 

S: ”I think that Marshall could have done better by testing us & giving us our results before we moved in., they tested us, let us move in, & then gave us our results which i do not think was the best way to do things.” 

How has the pandemic affected your sorority and its members? Has Delta Zeta done anything differently this semester to make events or meetings meet social distancing guidelines?  

S: “DZ has definitely been affected by this as well. everything is on zoom & we have nothing in person. Most of our stuff overall has been canceled.” 

S: “In the beginning it was hard for me to maintain good mental health because this is such a foreign situation to me. I’ve done my best to still stay in contact with people over texting & social media. That has definitely helped me feel a sense of normalcy throughout all of this.”  

S: “I think calling family or friends every so often is really important because without social interaction it can definitely negatively affect people!” 

These women give insight on how the COVID-19 pandemic has changed student’s lives and changed the overall dynamic of our college campus. The COVID-19 pandemic has deeply affected our small college town and our students. While there are still many issues being dealt with on our campus and many students who are not keeping the safety of others and Marshall as a whole in mind, the resilience and empathy of the majority of students at Marshall University as a result of dealing with this pandemic has been inspiring.

Averi Aya-ay

Marshall '22

Averi is a Junior Biology/ Pre-med major at Marshall University.