This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

I went through sorority recruitment for the second time. This year, I was the recruiter. In this new position, I felt like I was looking into a memory mirror. Sorority recruitment is a chaotic and overwhelming experience for sure, but I realized something truly special after chatting with dozens of young women over the course of five days; I realized how important it is to pursue passions. 

I know this is cliché, but let me explain. People always say to follow your dreams. I think this advice is so common that people forget it actually conveys honest wisdom, which is what happened in my experience.  

I definitely struggled with finding direction for a long time, especially after I got to college. I didn’t know what I wanted to do in life, with life, for my life, etc. Even though I didn’t magically find all the solutions through joining a sorority/going through recruitment, that process made me realize ways I can help myself find a path—whether it concerns academics, social life, or a potential career. 

When going through recruitment, some questions that recruiters ask cover passions and values. My freshman year, I didn’t really know how to label those things. Even though I have yet to figure it all out, I obtained a method to help start the process of self-discovery. 

It took two meetings with a psychic and two years of recruitment to come up with the most foundational questions to ask oneself: What do I love? What makes me happy? How can I find a place for those things in the future?

At first, I was stumped. What made me happy? What did I love? I didn’t see how identifying those things could help me figure out anything but what I wanted for dinner. Now, after conversing with many passionate and driven young women, I see that taking those questions to heart and really digging deep within is what it takes to find the right answers. 

It is only a matter of finding what sparks delight every day. For me, it was reading and writing, working with friends, and being around family. Regardless of where I end up or what I do for a job, I want to always incorporate those sparks into my life.

Over two years, I learned the answers to those questions sorority women ask. When I suggest these types of questions to young women now, I appreciate the honest, open, and sometimes incomplete responses. I offer my own answers and opinions to help produce realizations, but it really is a matter of self-reflection. So, when I see someone overwhelmed with uncertainty like I have been, I repeat those steps. It’s simple, it’s easier than it seems, and it can have a positive impact on the overall enjoyment of life. 

Sororities and recruitment aren’t necessary for this type of revelation, but I strongly believe everyone can benefit from understanding personal passions and their many marvelous sources.  

Emma McDevitt

Marquette '20

Hello, I am Emma McDevitt! I am a Junior at Marquette University and studying Marketing & Advertising.