samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

So That’s How Coffee Works

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Marquette chapter.

I don’t know about you, but I drink a lot of coffee. Even though I consume an unhealthy amount of coffee, I have little to no idea how to distinguish between the different types of coffee. There are just so many different types that when I go to pick one I usually get too overwhelmed and end up picking the one that has a cute picture on the front. If you are like me and also are clueless when it come to the varieties of coffee, fear not, our ignorance ends now.

All types of coffee can be divided into four main categories based on how long the coffee beans are roasted. The longer the beans are roasted, the darker in color they become leading to the names of the four main categories: Light, Medium, Medium-Dark, and Dark.

Light Roast: Light Roasted beans are roasted for the least amount of time and are therefore lightest in color, hence their name. Light roasts are more acidic than the other roasts and tend to be more fruity in taste. This roast also has the highest caffeine content, so if you are looking to fuel up for an all-nighter go with a light roasted coffee!

Medium Roast: Medium roast is darker and has a stronger flavor than the light roast. This roast is the most common and preferred roast in the U.S. because of its slightly sweet taste and balanced acidity. This is a good go-to roast for your everyday coffee needs.

Medium-Dark Roast: Medium-Dark roast is dark in color and has a slightly bittersweet aftertaste to it. Almost all of the acidity is absent from this roast, making it more full bodied and aromatic. This coffee is great for people who like strong coffee that’s not too bitter.

Dark Roast: Dark roast is extremely dark in color, almost black. This roast is the most bitter, least acidic and contains the lowest caffeine content of all the roasts. This also the roast that is used to make espresso shots used in drinks like Lattes and Cappuccinos. This roast is perfect for you really hard core coffee drinkers out there that probably drink coffee while you write super deep poetry or read classic literature.

The differences between coffees within the same roast come from flavors, like chocolate or citrus, that are added after the roasting process is completed. The other difference is the region of the world that the coffee beans were grown in. Usually, there is a description of the flavors added to the specific coffee on the packaging so you can pick one that has flavors that appeal to your tastes. Finding the perfect roast and flavor combination may take a while, but in the end, it’ll be worth it when you can kick back and enjoy a perfect cup of coffee.

I like things that start with C: Cats, Coffee, Christian Ponder, and Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Prefer to consume my calories in liquid form. Living in the land of beer and cheese. Dreamer. Explorer. Wanderer.